Tuesday 6 May 2014

Cinquo de Maio/Coba Cenote Blues: Monday, May 5th!





Just as a cautious businessman avoids tying up all his capital in one concern, so, perhaps, worldly wisdom will advise us not to look for the whole of our satisfaction from a single aspiration. -Sigmund Freud, neurologist, founder of psychoanalysis (1856-1939)



Hi Tony, Just confirming that my boyfriend Doug will be meeting you to give you the keys to the place tomorrow. I'm on my way to Mexico now. I think I gave his number in a previous email, but just in-case, here it is again. Have a lovely trip! Amanda

Hope the tour was great! We have res tonight at 6:45PM at Mama Mia,s Italian...Grog 

Marvin Angelo Mercado Playa del Carmen, Mexico ·
Amazing excursion today starting at the Coba Mayan ruins then a canoe ride to a zip line x2 and finishing with a repel down a cenote!!


Having a blast in Mexico. Last full day tomorrow and my Fiancé's birthday. Happy early birthday Corey William.
Hi I am planning to ride with you on Friday! Do you have a bike and helmet? I will take you out for coffee!! I am going to take a bus or Canada line back to White Rock after our ride. I think that will be convenient, don't you ? 


I am staying Thursday night on Main street and 12th with a friend. I thought I would somehow get to your place in the am. I haven't figured that out yet. What time do you like to ride ? Rhoda 

Hi, all, I was trying to organize a dinner with Kjell and Jane before he headed back to Sweden. Sadly that wasn't to be but I'm hoping that you all can come for dinner this Friday May 9 where we can at least toast to his health. Let me know and if this date doesn't work for most of us we can try for another. All best. Lynn   
This Friday works for Paul. Joan will be enjoying the heat in Singapore. Cheers.P

Lynn, I have something on on Friday now…but go ahead without me if that works for everybody else. Liisa

Thanks for the invite, Lynn. I'm available. Cheers, Brenda

Hi, Paul, Brenda and Jane are on for Friday (haven't heard from Patrick and Corinne, hope you can come). Sadly Liisa has another commitment. Let's say 7pm. Looking forward. Lynn

Pat, Some photos from Kew Gardens which Sylvia and Jenny visited today.
Saw some of the marathon on Sunday. Awful day for it but some good times. Winner on the women's side was a 23 year old with a time of 2 hours 36... It's still wet and very cool but better by your return.
 

Hope all is well with Corinne, Chloe and yourself. Gym workouts seem good, especially in that kind of environment. Not sure if Sylvia's photos have been added - I'll try again if unsuccessful. New computer is giving me some trouble.
Ray


 Hi Tony,Sorry if this is a duplicate, but I'm not sure if my email went through this morning, so I'm sending you another (this one is from Mexico!). Just wanted to confirm that my boyfriend Doug will be meeting you to give you the keys to the place tomorrow. I think I gave his number in a previous email, but just in-case, here it is again. Please call him when you land...thanks :) Have a lovely trip, Amanda



Patrick welcome to: 

Vancouver's new foreign and international feature film club monthly Sunday night single / double feature film screenings



FYI. I will of course be willing to expound on the issues on an other occasion should you wish. Cheers....Paul



The Canadian Academy of Independent Scholars Notice of Meeting


Date:  Thursday, May 15, 2014, Time:  7:30 pm

Place:  Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, BC campus, 515 West Hastings Street (between Seymour and Richards Streets) in the Diamond Lounge on the second floor Speaker:  Paul Whitney

Topic:  The Implications of the Internet and eBooks for the Ecosystem of Reading


Outline:  The eBook revolution began in earnest in late 2007 with the introduction of the Kindle eReader by Amazon. When eBooks are considered with the increasing dominance of new and used on-line bookselling and the startling successes of digital self publishing, there is little doubt that the world of books and reading has been transfigured the last decade.
 
Tonight's talk will assess the current state of books and reading and consider the threats and opportunities moving forward for authors, publishers, booksellers, libraries and, most importantly, readers.   



Paul Whitney’s Autobiography:




Paul Whitney retired as City Librarian for Vancouver Public Library in 2010 after a 36 year career in BC public libraries. He has taught graduate courses on copyright, library collections and publishing at UBC, SFU and the Univ of Alberta. Since his retirement he completed a research report on PLR and eBooks for the Canada Council and continues to teach, lecture and consult on library, publishing and public policy issues.    

Paul served as the President of the British Columbia and Canadian Library Associations and was awarded their outstanding service awards. Paul was an elected member of the Governing Board of the International Federation of Library Associations from 2010 to 2013 and is the current Chair of the IFLA eLending Working Group and a member of the IFLA Copyright and Other Legal Matters Committee and the CLA Copyright Committee. In 2012 he received the Association of Book Publishers of BC Gray Campbell Distinguished Service Award.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment