Sunday 11 May 2014

Earth Mother's Day Blues: Sunday, May 11th!

Words are loaded pistols. -Jean-Paul Sartre, writer and philosopher (1905-1980) 

Anna Marie Jarvis
Mother’s Day was founded in 1907 by a West Virginia woman as a tribute to her own mother. In her 40s, Anna Marie Jarvis, a college graduate, quit her job and incorporated herself as the Mother’s Day International Association. 



Jarvis was so passionate about her vision that she succeeded within 6 years in persuading the governors of nearly every state in the union to embrace Mother’s Day. By 1914, she had won over the U.S. Congress. That year President Woodrow Wilson signed a Congressional resolution declaring the second Sunday in May the nation’s day to honor mothers (for their role in the family, however, not the public sphere). Rampant commercialization of Mother’s Day has kept it alive for a century, but the strong-willed Jarvis, ironically, detested any profiting from the holiday. She believed offspring should honor mothers with handmade gifts and letters, rather than with printed greeting cards and floral arrangements. So, after succeeding in seeing Mother’s Day widely adopted, Jarvis spent the rest of her life and funds fighting those who tried to profit from it. 

Chloe Alexis Dunn

Happy Mother's Day Corinne Durston!!! You are my favorite person!! The one I can always call to ask for help or advice, who takes care of me when I'm not feeling well or have a glass of wine with when we need it. 😊
  • Patrick James Dunn And all along I was under the impression that that status was reserved for your banker! One never knows!
Hi Miner Maddison!

I'm free as a boid so if you have any "windows" in your schedule, let me know. Chloë is preparing Spot Prawns for her mother this evening so I don't even have kitchen duty today! How did negotiations go with respect to new property? Hasn't really hit me that you will be "doing" some "off-site" combo of Grogg/Kurt! Guess the Snorkelfluggenapparat will really be getting a workout shortly!

On the laptop front, would Jacob Two Two be interested in the hard drive Admiral Mac removed from my "elder" machina, along with two memory chips? He upgraded memory as well. I plan to buy a storage device prescribed by said dottore, (something one plugs right into computer's USB port, 64 gigabytes), to use for backup, so don't plan to use old drive.
 

On the Motherlode front:

Mother's Day is now one of the most commercially successful American occasions, having become the most popular day of the year to dine out at a restaurant in the United States and generating a significant portion of the U.S. jewelry industry's annual revenue, from custom gifts like mother's rings. Americans spend approximately $2.6 billion on flowers, $1.53 billion on pampering gifts—like spa treatments—and another $68 million on greeting cards. 
Jarvis would obviously have been a supporter of Tia Maria's hand crafted cards! Let me know if a ride might be possible. Raymondo could be interested as well, since Sylvia is cavorting in Jolly Old! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

P, will have to pass on a ride today. Hopefully we can get out tomorrow although it is Cobby's birthday and he has taken the day off so...Happy Mother's Day to C. Enjoy, W 

  • Rae Tanner Happy Mother's Day Corinne!
  • Patrick James Dunn Happy Mother's Day to you Rae, from both Cora Lee and myself!
  • Patrick Chang Happy Mother's day Corinne!
  • Patrick James Dunn Mr Fjord, how was your trip? Coriandre thanks you for kind wishes. Chloë is busy preparing more fresh Spot Prawns from the Fisherman's Wharf at GI. We had first batch as appetizers, garlic, jalapeno pepper, butter, parsley, heads intact, on patio. Now inside for rest to be added to risotto. Will eat while watching last two episodes of Game of Thrones! Dessert will be fresh strawberries, gluten free macaroons and almond cookies. Just a snort of malt to make everything blend in. Cheers and Fondestos from everyone at The Islay Inn, Il Conduttore!
  • Patrick James Dunn Meant to attach this!

  • Megan Omasta I LOVE spot prawns!!
  • Patrick Chang It was a lovely trip. Wanna go out and travel again. Let's not pollute this post with our convos. Haha
    Patrick James Dunn I'm surprised you even surfaced, Mr Fjord! But since you are around, do you mind flying over to help Cora Lee put together her new red bbq!
Deep Cove!
Hi Ski!

Trust you and Big Al made it home safely. Wonderful that you both could attend the Circle of Friends! Back of my car is loaded to the roof with donations! Sorry you couldn't have stayed for dinner. Next time Sarge is in Cape Breton tell him there aren't enough steaks to go around!

Cora Lee will call Tanya as soon as she has a moment. Stats for ride together so thanks for being such a willing cycotourist:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/496300515#.U21s8rlaDNE.email

Had a grand ride on Saturday, just a variation on our ride together. Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/497011844#.U27Mbl7tJ98.email


You will note a significantly higher AVG and distance than with someone whose name will not be mentioned! I'm keen to ride today but looks like a solo effort as both Whirlissimo and Robo Man are otherwise engaged. Just finished helping Cora Lee in garden area off our patio. She is putting in about seven shade plants. Her Dad ordered the bulbs for her before they left and they arrived day before we left for Mexico! I had to use a small, forked hole digging implement as there are so many roots that it is almost impossible to trowel a hole, even a small one. She will pick up more soil after she takes donations to Thrift Shop and before church, at Heartwood, only a block or so from Aunt Leah's store, at 4:00 pm. 

Chloë is preparing fresh Spot Prawns, by request, from Fisherman's Wharf, just west of entrance to GI, for her mother this evening so I don't even have kitchen duty today! Let me know if you are interested/available for another ride and/or meal, lunch/dinner, before you head back to Sydney. Dinao is welcome, as well, of course. Must away as time to suit up for my solo ride! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi My you have been busy!  I had a great time Friday, all day! Thanks for putting up with me!  I will remember that when Sarge visits, not!
 

I would love to try another ride Tuesday am I am having lunch with Joanie, my sister, Tuesday, downtown Vancouver. What about early morning?  I am in New West Monday night.  I could either stay in New West and drive  in early am or come out late Monday night and stay with you?  What do you think? I am going for a ride right now in White Rock! Adios Amigo!
Happy Mother's Day Bella M. Mercado I'm truly lucky to have you!!
  • Patrick James Dunn Since the wedding, Bella Bellissima belongs to all of us! Happy Mother's Day to my favourite adopted mother! Hip Hip Hooray!!!
  • Bella M. Mercado Thank you so much Patrick, I love you. Please tell Corine Happy Mother's Day to her and give her a special treat.
  • Patrick James Dunn Thanks Bella. Corinne sends her best wishes to you as do I, once again!
  • Bella M. Mercado Thanks guys, I love you both so much.


Thank you for thinking of me. My lovely daughter doesn't! Kind regards, Gayle x

Hey Patrizio, Thanks for thinking of me on Mother's day. I frequently ask Jake if he has any candy stashed in his room, so his present to me was 3 really big chocolate bars! Have you had your holiday in Mexico? I hope that you had a good time. I went for a huge ride today - 100km in Coquitlam/Port Moody/Burnaby. Hills, and lots of 'em. Let's get together again soon - we really enjoyed our evening with you and Corinne. Sara.  

Thanks for the card. Is there gin [mothers ruin]. In that glass perchance?  Hope you had a great time in Mexico.  Polly

Stats for today's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/497903772#.U3A7aKuJF9I.email 

Dear Patrick, This card came at just the right time! when I am fully healed I will avail myself of a wonderful relaxing spa. Love Tina   

Hi Patrick, thanks for the card. We are sitting on lido island 8:30pm enjoying a thunder storm. We are taking a short break from our riding. We have completed our first one 400 kilometres from Venice to Porec in Croatia via Slovenia. Great trip some hills about 4 km long and 10 to 15% climbs quite challenging. We are off to Paris in two days and then we ride from Paris to London we are hoping for good weather.  Cheers Greg and Claire  

Wayne Sutherland Happy Mother's Day to the two most influential women in my life. My mother Vivian who raised me for the first 25 years of my life and then turned me over to my wife Michele Darrow-Sutherland whose has continued to raise me for the last 32. I truly appreciate the love and guidance you have provided to me and our three children.

Rebecca Frazier I have three amazing Mothers in my life.

First thank you Mom (Tammy Brownlee) for giving me life, loving and nurturing the mother that I am today. For always being there when I need you and loving me through thick and thin. I Love you to the moon and back!!

Second thank you Sandra Frazier for the beautiful influence you are in my life! I love you HWD!  And third to Michele Darrow-Sutherland for raising the wonderful man that I love now and forever!!

The three of you are such amazing, inspiring and beautiful women. I truly appreciate you all more then ever because I now know what it feels like to have my heart crawling around outside of my body. To think and worry about Avery every second of the day. Avery you are my world!


Hi pat Thanks so much for lovely card - we had mothers day in march! Hope corinne enjoyed being pampered.

Just getting back from lunch with family in little Venice near lisa s flat. Nice meal but very pricey.

Anna s extension nearly finished so shes having a party on 24 th just before we go to abu dhabi. More news later xx



Much appreciated Patrizzio! Look forward to seeing you and Corrinne June 19th. We are back from cruising. Adjusting to the cold weather and having to cook meals now! Denisexx 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment