Thursday 29 May 2014

Final Cut Blues: Thursday, May 29th!

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -John F. Kennedy, 35th US president (1917-1963) 


Hello Galiano Ambassador!

Understand completely about not being able to squeeze in Dram. Too, too bad as I know you'd enjoy evening and we'd certainly enjoy having you along. Big Al and his friend, Paul, will be joining me although it is yet to be determined if Paul will meet us at Hycroft or come to The Heartbleed Terrace beforehand. He is on a film shoot at the moment and technically he is working until 7:00 pm. More pre-Dram nosh for Al and I if he has to work until the bitter end! Anyway, Next Year in Jerusalem!

With respect to Air sCare, as you so aptly render phrase, notice from Rand & Fowler suggests "An AirCare inspection may be required before you can renew your insurance." This, together with phone message, (informing me that I needed inspection beforehand), from Arun, my very personable/friendly/helpful agent for at least last 10 years, set me on course for Kent! On reviewing ICBC documentation, (Something I didn't bother with earlier as I assumed Arun meant what he said/wrote.), as a result of your query, I see, on second page, "AirCare not required"! Nevertheless, I told Arun, when I called him to arrange renewal next week, that he owed me a bottle of non-anaemic malt for wasted time, gas, mental anguish, etc!

Thanks for letting Fast Eddy know about bridge next week. I'll be in touch with others and see what might work.

See that showers are forecast between 1:00 pm-2:00 pm so let me know if an earlier "window" is of interest. I'm available pretty much any time before then. [Just heard a different forecast on CBC Radio 2 and stuck my head out the patio door. It's pelting down here!] Anyway, let's see what Rain Gods decide and plan accordingly. Cheers, Il Conduttore! Pics: Babes last night!

Hi Collin! Glad you enjoyed the snaps and that the beer tasting went well afterwards. With respect to the bbq, I just had a message from the Coffaros and it turns out that they have had to cut short their stay in Vancouver by one day so this means that the bbq will be on Wednesday, June 18th, as opposed to Thursday, June 19th, as originally planned. I hope you will be able to make this date. I know some other invitees will not be able to do so, for various reasons. Anyway, I have attached directions to our place. Will be in touch closer to date, of course.

On another matter, tomorrow, Friday, May 30th, I'm attending VWF Dram Come True:

https://www.writersfest.bc.ca/events/dram-come-true

with a couple of friends. Cora Lee is off to Victoria to give a presentation at BCLA Annual Conference on Saturday morning so she will not be along. Sarge was to come to malt event but he was asked, after he decided on Dram, to run for Board of Skate Canada and is in Quebec City, as I scribe.



If you are interested I have an early Bird ticket, ($110), so let me know. If Yumi is interested I have another friend, (Paul is actually on Board of VWF), and I know he has another EBt. We will be meeting at our place, around 5:30 pm to have something to eat before tasting. There will be appetizers at Hycroft, throughout the course of the evening, but from experience, we have found it is better to have a "base" before we start imbibing! Anyway, I apologize for short notice but let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Stefano! Once Kathleen and Zoe have settled their holiday plans let me know and I'll contact Madroña Manor about a Twits gig!

Had a lovely dinner with friend, Carol Riera, (She worked with Cora Lee at VPL before moving to Quebec.), in town for McGee High School reunion, last night. She is staying next door at The Annexe until Monday. Chloë was over so I was surrounded by pulchritude! Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Hi Paolo! I have invited my friend, Admiral Barnacle, along to Dram so all four tickets are now sold! Should I pay you or take cash over to VWF Office? Just let me know what is more convenient. Trust Victoria is drier and sunnier than Vancouver at the moment. 

Tonight I'm off to see FINAL CUT: LADIES AND GENTLEMEN at VIFF at 6:30pm. Had intended to take it in this past Tuesday but wasn't able to do so. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Well done on the ticket Patrick! Cash to me appreciated - I paid for them. I can get a tax receipt for you for the 4 tickets. See you tomorrow Harbour Air willing....Paul 


Hi Paolo! I'll have three burly bodyguards with me at Hycroft so don't try any funny business! Lads are coming to our place for a bite beforehand so we'll see you at Dram. Bon Voyage on Harbour Air! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Will the body guards be under instruction from Corinne to prevent me from encouraging you to bid on a carpet? I hear they have a nice one in the auction and I don't want to get roughed up. See you soon...P


Hi Pat! Your itinerary sounds just fine. Disappointed that you have had to cut stay short but I certainly understand your need to be home a tad earlier. On the other hand, even with four nights you would still have plenty to see and do, particularly if you don't want to rush around. We know from our own travels that visiting a new place, or any place, is tiring, so we find mixing sightseeing with "relaxing" works well. Please don't think you are "imposing" by staying with us so if that is the reason for leaving earlier, please reconsider. If, on the other hand, you want/need to leave on the morning of the 19th that is fine as well, of course.
 

Thank you for your kind invitation to join you for dinner. Unfortunately, we had set the 18th aside for Edibles as Corinne has a number of meetings in the evening of 16th and 17th. Not a big deal so please don't change your dinner plans. We'll simply have to have more fun at bbq.

Further to the Tesla, there is a charge station on GI, right outside Edibles, and we can show it to you, either when we see you on Monday or else on Wednesday when you move into the Annexe. Speaking of your arrival, as I mentioned earlier, you can either come directly to our place or if you prefer to check-in first, you can call when you are settled and we'll come by to pick you up for the "overview" tour. Reservations are still available for the 19th at the Annexe if needed! Cheers, Patrizzio!



Hello Travel Weary People!

I assume, from notice from Jacquie Lawson that you picked up card, Lynne, once back in Naramata. Is this the case or are you still gallivanting across Europe and North Africa?
Busy times here. 



One of the reasons I've included some of my recent ride stats is that I'm "officially in training" as I've registered for the Granfondo. I'm wondering if I might come up a few days before actual race as I'd like to ride certain parts of course I've not done before. Know it will make things easier on race day if I have an idea what lies ahead. At this point, Cora Lee will probably come up with Flamin' and Sarge on the Friday of the race weekend. At any rate, let me know your thoughts and we'll plan accordingly. Hope all continues to go well with you both, whether at home or on the road.  Fondestos from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!

I will suggest that we next meet on the 13 July, 2014. Please let us know if that date will work for you. Venue TBD. The book we will discuss at the next gathering is Decoded, by Mai Jia (Mark). To follow that: The Island of Crimea (Ostrov Krym)', by Vasili Aksenov (Misha). Moe and then Pat are next up to recommend more un-reading for us.

Newish to the List: Time Regulation Institute, by Ahmet Hamdi Tanpinar, 1962, English translation 2013, Penguin Classics (Guy)The Orenda, Joseph Boyden (George) 

Hi Lads! I'd love to join you for Decoded but I am registered for the Granfondo, (160 km), on Sunday, July 13th in Penticton. Following weekend is out, for me, as we are at the Folk Fest. We leave for Winnipeg on July 22nd and won't be back until August 22nd. By then the Esteemed Secretary will be ensconced on Galiano. 

I certainly don't expect or want you to change date on my account but if proposed one isn't suitable for some/many then I'm more than pleased to look at other suggested dates. If gathering, as proposed, goes ahead, please keep me informed of how NRBC would like to continue meeting, given the fact that Emperor Whirlygig is "pulling a Nanaimo", a la Field of Wrath! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hello Travel Weary People! Sarge forwarded your message. Are you still gallivanting across England? As Sarge mentioned, we had a lovely visit with Elly and Tony. Last Friday evening we took Aquabus across False Creek, opposite Granville Island, to Long Table, a Small Batch Distillery, (G&T Fridays), at the foot of Hornby! G&T's were wonderful and a great time was had by all, at least as far as I was able to discern through the Cucumber Gin mist!

On the cycling front, it would certainly be terrific if you two do come over next year. I'm sure a number of us would be delighted to join you cycling so keep us informed if plans develop for such a trip. Enjoy the rest of your holiday. Fondestos from Coriandre to you and Claire. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Errand runs:


Popped Cora Lee at Poke and then cycled from Coastal Ford, off Thornton, after dropping off Titanium Green, to Costco, off Expo Blvd, for a few groceries for Friday night's pre-Dram base soakage, and then back to The Islay Inn, via Seawall, past Science World. Dropped of purchases and then made for Cheap Thrills, off 4th and Pine, for a few more staples and then home again to prepare chicken thighs and Greek kartoffellage for pre-malt feast. Stats for ride:

11.78 km over 0:44'21 for an AVG of 15.9 km/hr

Beavered away until Coriandre returned from Heartwood meeting and then we had dinner of overlefts while we watched another episode of Breaking Bad. Chooch was home form her Lionel Ritchie concert, (One of the best concerts she's ever, ever attended!), around 10:30 pm and we chatted briefly before everyone headed for Land of Nod! 

Hi Lads and Elaine, (I'm including you as I know Theodorakis is terrible about checking his email!):
 

If people are interested, I'm happy to host a table next week, starting around 7:00 pm. If Polly and/or Elaine wish to play that is certainly fine. Let me know and I'll see how many other players we might need. Giorgio is out of town for most of June, unfortunately for the bridge club! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Polly and I can play if needed. Mick I can play if you need me. Thanks Ed
  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment