Tuesday 24 June 2014

Camp Fircom Mosquitoe Blues: Tuesday, June 24th!

Money, n. A blessing that is of no advantage to us excepting when we part with it. An evidence of culture and a passport to polite society. -Ambrose Bierce, writer (1842-1914) 

  
Wonderful. Thanks Pat. Here is my cell number. Will be in touch. How could I ever forget what you look like? You are just as handsome as ever and Coralee is just as beautiful! Yes it is a Rotary Exchange for the boys. Dad and Val will be in Powell River this Monday and stay for a few days to take in the International Choral Festival Kathaumixw so I will have a full house. 

I am terrible at driving in Vancouver but I know how to get to the Taylor Way exit and get to Fran's old condo and Granville Island and I do have a GPS on my cell that Alex can use to get us to your house so we should be fine! After living in a small town, I really find Vancouver traffic very very stressful so my knuckles will likely be white and I'll be of a small glass of wine by the time I arrive!
Thanks again for putting us up! Fran was worried that I wasn't organized enough so I've cc'd her on this just to let her know we have it all under control!

Cheers Iz
The Italian national football team represents Italy in association football and is controlled by the Italian Football Federation, the governing body for football in Italy. Italy is considered to be one of the best national teams in the world.
 
The Uruguayan national football team represents Uruguay in international association football and is controlled by the Uruguayan Football Association, the governing body for football in Uruguay. The current head coach is Óscar Tabárez.

Hi White Knuckle Woman! Thank you for your flattering words! You are just blatantly angling for a large glass of wine! You'll be fine. You'll only need a thimbleful. Choral Festival sounds quite something. Please pass along fond regards to Captain Highliner and Gardenia. Thanks for your cell number. With Alejandro navigating you probably will only need it to call to let us know you have arrived! Until Thursday! Cheers, Patrizzio! 
Chloe Alexis Dunn via Rebecca Coleman all these recipes look amazing!!! have a scroll through!!
Hi all, Sign the Durston/Jurkowskis up for pork tenderloin, baked potatoes, corn on the cob and salad. Information and task list to follow later in the week for the party. Can't believe it will soon be here! Let's hope the mosquito situation rectifies itself before the arrivals start!! Can't wait to see you all.
Yes, please make sure the bugs are all sent away during our visit LOL!! 

Hi Pushy, Overly Demanding Tinsel Towners, et al! Manitobans, please note how LA People think the world revolves around them. No rain. No bugs. No wonder they are so self-centered. I want! I want! I need! I need! Me! Me! Me! Cheers, Patrizzio " We Don't Need No Stinkin' Los Angelinos at Bear, Mosquito/Deer Fly/Black Fly/No Seeum Infested War Eagle!"

I don't know what medication you have stopped taking, but my suggestion is before you come to Manitoba you get it refilled and start taking the pills.......

Dear Doctor Spumoni! Funny you should mention my medication as I've been taking twice the prescribed dosage, (12 drams of malt instead of six/daily), but I'm happy to increase the amount if it will make your grumpy self happier! Cheers, Patrizzio "We Don't Need No Stinkin' Grains Canada Quacks Round Here!"

Here is some of the music from the Solstice Party on the weekend, Enjoy. Gregg and Francesca: https://www.youtube.com/embed/-zpM1wyetgE

Hi Kids! Latest release from Madroña Manor. Gives a whole new meaning to "garage band!" Cheers, Patrizzio!

Did you get invited. W Not to live concerts. Only to house/cat sit! Lucky you
 
Pat, I enjoyed the ride today although I was quite tired by the time I got home. Thought I had a medical appointment this Thursday afternoon but it's next Thursday. I do have work until noon but I could ride about 1:30 that day. If you want to get out in the morning, don't let me hold you up. Forecast Thursday looks good but not so promising Friday. It looks like a slow puncture which I'll get onto tomorrow. Didn't see anything in the tire but I was fortunate to get as far as I did. Hadn't noticed the deflation until the last mile or so. Ray

Hi Raymond! Thank you for showing me the new route! I really appreciated that. As I mentioned, during the ride, great to get a feel for the various route possibilities and stitch them together. Too, too bad about your flat, however, although fortunate, if it had to be, that it occurred so close to kale patch! I have at least one inner tube you are most welcome to have, if it is the right size, as I doubt if I'll ever use it. Let me know what you think and we can arrange something. 

With respect to Thursday, I'm happy to meet you somewhere around 1:30 pm. If I decide to go out earlier I will still want to meet up so we can chat that morning about where we might go together and then set a rendezvous point.

I must say I enjoyed ride immensely but did feel, like you, a bit tired by time I was home. However, In spite of strong head wind, at times, I really didn't notice distance out to Iona and then to Steveston. Guess it must have been the scintillating conversation!!! By the time I dipsy-doodled my way down Macdonald to Point Grey and then a loop of Kits Point I had 73+km on the clock so I was very pleased, in large part because I didn't think we'd do both Iona and Steveston.
Stats for today's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/527903479#.U6nwtzOHSeA.email
 
Quite enjoyed the leg massage that goes with pedicure. Almost fell asleep in massage chair while reading my book and being pampered, everything was so pleasant. Maybe you'll receive a gift certificate for a birthday or an anniversary and you'll be forced to use it since you simply couldn't stand to waste money!!!

Don't forget to mention to Sylvia invitation to Madroña Manor, anytime between September 13th-18th. Let's talk tomorrow, at some point, and iron out details for Thursday. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Can you help us? Or do you know someone who can? Please share this post. Thanks

Aunt Leah's Independent Lifeskills Society

Anyone have a boardroom or conference room table that is collecting dust and needs a new home? Aunt Leah's needs one for its new office. Ideally it should be rectangular or kidney-shaped, seat 10 to 14 people, be a light wood colour and inexpensive. We have a small budget for the table.
We've just arrived back at our winery home and we were just reminiscing about the wonderful time we had at the Island Inn. We truly enjoyed our stay, and your hospitality and guidance were certainly much appreciated! We learned a lot about Vancouver and its various neighborhoods and can see why you particularly love it so, especially due to your great proximity to Granville Island....what a treasure! 

Of course, as soon as we left and were on our way out of the city, the skies turned brilliantly blue and the rest of our trip home was sunny and bright. We didn't mind the overcast skies though - but would have been nice to make that trek up Grouse Mountain....maybe next time, eh?


I also wanted to let you know that for some reason we never received the message below which you had sent on 6/15, Patrick. I think it must have gotten caught up in our spam filter on the road, but, as you'll see below, we did get it upon our return to the winery. Sounds like you had a fabulous Father's Day celebration - as did Dave with daughter Susie in Seattle that very Sunday. 

Susie treated us to a Father's Day brunch at a southern-inspired restaurant not too far from her home and presented Dave with a little gift as well. Today is daughter Kate's birthday, so we'll be meeting up with her in San Francisco in another day, at which time we'll be celebrating again - both her birthday and a belated Father's Day as well.

Truly enjoyed meeting all of your friends - and especially enjoyed getting to know Sarge and Flamin' a little better....delightful folks! And truly a pleasure to meet Cory (and Avery), and especially of course, Chloe! We're still trying to recover from all the delicious food and drinks during those two days we spent with you. Trying to scale back and get back on track now that we're home - but as I mentioned, we're off and running again in another day. I think we'll have to chalk up June as one of those overly indulgent months!


Cheers and happy trails (hope you are back on track Patrick now that your pesky California friends are back home). Pat (and Dave)
 

PS Thanks again for the lovely Cioppino (sp?) cookbook. I think Dave is anxious to try one of the recipes sometime soon. I will keep you posted. Now I know where I'd heard about the Warrabilla wine......(that was so nice of Flamin to share her favorite special bottle with us) 2004 Warrabilla Durif

Hi Pat, you and David were very easy guests. Sorry that I was somewhat busy when you where in Vancouver. We look forward to seeing you next driving trip to LA. Don't worry no immediate plans. Hope you have a great visit in SF. Glad that we could introduce you to some of our friends and family. Enjoy your summer and David's cooking. Warm regards, Corinne
We had a great time with all of you. I hope you are recovering!! We got home yesterday and we are slowly recovering on computers. I made my pizza from scratch last evening and enjoyed tequila............We receive our labels for the 2013 wines today and we will start bottling on July 7..........enjoy........Dave


Hi Pat and David! Glad to hear you are safely home and enjoying lovely weather. (For the most part, so are we!) Thank you both for your kind words and, of course, all the simply lovely condimenti you so generously brought for us. Not to mention the wonderful meal at Le Crocodile, steaks and wine! (Wild Bill Gross wanted to make sure that I told you how much he relished your Zin, David!)

I must echo Cora Lee's comment about you being "easy guests" and, it goes without saying, we are both delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Longer, sooner than later, next time! Once again, thanks for the splendid visit. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: Will send snaps taken over course of your stay but must away as I have an appointment for a pedicure shortly. Just a Sensitive New Age Male! 


It's all so much more meaningful now that we know your place and some of your friends! I'm SO glad we visited!!!! Pat

Hi Patrizzia and David! The wonders of travel and staying with friends instead of hotels where your room is never ready when you arrive and having bbq's on the patio where you are served actual food, bought by wealthy Californians, bbq'd to poifection by Sarge, in under an hour! All of us, Sutherland Freeloaders included, are SO glad you visited as well!!!
 

Attached pics are in rough chronological order. Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: I'll need to send a number of messages as my "system" allows but ten pics per message. Sometimes recipients can't open zip files, hence more postings seems an easier option.

Snaps: Above Rose Garden at UBC; Blue Whale: I took this with Aussies, earlier, in May, but thought I'd include in case you have a different perspective; Le Crocodile

Hi again! Glad you liked the Warrabilla expression of Durif. Can hardly wait to pair it with one of David's new Cioppino's recipes! We'll have both after you return from Grouse Mountain, next time! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: More Le Crocodile; Fab steak bbq on Wednesday evening; Molly Mop, Kurt, Kid Chelene and Avery!            Hi again, Wine Label People! Do you take a sip of Tequila and then lick a label? Repeat as often as needed!!! Your pizza would probably go quite well with Durif as well!



Pics: Coffaro loot and loot bag! Liberty Distillery; Farewell BBQ: Colin, Wesley, Dermot; Denise/Chloë; Denise/Whistler Wonder Woman, aka, Sara, Dermot's wife; Wild Bill Gross savouring jammy Zin, Grumpy, Impatient, Cantankerous Dry Creek Winemaker, Joanne; Sarge Flamin' the sausages and chicken; Margot and Elise, Flash's daughters; Elaine and Ted mesmerized by Patrizzio The Pontificator!

Hello again, Bottling Line! I'll think of you screw-capping away on Monday, July 7th as I wend my way to the Okanagan to begin week of training for Penticton Granfondo, (160 km), on Sunday, July 13th. Sarge plans to do the Mediofondo, (92 km), while The Babes, (Coriandre, Flamin'), will provide emotional support between sips of wine! Talk about "recovery"! Cheers, Trizzio!

Pics: Last batch! More sermons from the Mount, (note skeptical disciples!); jeering spectators; Zoe/Matt, Ron/Myra; nameless neighbourhood cat who has decided he likes patio sofa! Yet another Freeloader!


Hi Tiptoe! I see you have reinvented yourself again! Chameleon Man! Cheers, Patrice!

Tim Kelly "Emmanuel Constantinou"

3D growth trajectory


Hi Lauren! How's life in Tinsel Town? Heard from Lisa/Penny of late? Cheers, Patrizzio!






Patrick James Dunn Thanks Mr Grizzle! Like you snap. Such a cool dude, or should I say "cat" given our generation!!! Cheers, Takes one to know one!

Ron Simmer Recent article indicates wealthy Asian real estate buyers ( with no income tax sharing agreement with Canada(ie China) want to influence Vancouver education policy, although they will pay no school taxes.
Chinese leaders in Metro Vancouver, like Charter Lau, have long opposed schools instituting anti-homophobia policies. Now the issue has turned to transgender rights.
Ron Simmer http://blogs.vancouversun.com/.../ethnic-chinese-once.../
blogs.vancouversun.comEthnic Chinese residents of Metro Vancouver have again protested efforts to affirm Canadians different sexual and gender orientations. In the latest conflict, groups of ethnic Chinese people, many of whom are evangelical Christians, have been targeting a Vancouver School board proposal to make things easier for transgendered students.

No comments:

Post a Comment