Saturday 21 June 2014

Franklings Road Orchardist Blues: Saturday, June 21st!

To give pleasure to a single heart by a single kind act is better than a thousand head-bowings in prayer. -Saadi, poet (c. 1200 AD) 


Dear Honourable Guests!

Just a quick thank you, to one and all, for helping to make the Coffaro's visit such a wonderful time. Thank you, of course, for all the splendid appetizers, salads, desserts and hootch. Special mention must go to Yu Mi for her incredible home brewed beer and to Sarge, for his yeoman's service at the grill, downpour notwithstanding! (And to Elise for my magic elasto bracelet!) Again, your generosity and friendship are much appreciated by the staff and management of the Islay Inn. Cheers, Patrizzio, Scullion and Pontificator! 


Marvin Angelo Mercado: About to have fresh lobster from Newfoundland!

Patrizzio, You are the main man to be thanked! You made it all happen and you should know that Denise and I had a great time there at the Inn. It was fun and a good crowd. Please tell David he produces a delicious Zin!

Speaking of David I saw the other big David (Lancelot) last night and he told me that he had a trying and emotional time with his mother and the power of attorney business. Also, heard Paul Hobbs talking about Argentina and wine last night including tasting some of his lovely but very pricey wines.

Thanks again to you and Corinne and tell Chloe that Denise will be in touch with her regarding donations to her operation. Bill. ps Thanks for the pictures.
  
Rebecca FrazierHappy left handers day Corey William

Hi Lads! Trust everyone is well. Been pretty busy here, of late, with visiting Californians. Great time and plenty of stories. Not much riding until yesterday, late afternoon, once Pat and David were off to Seattle. Three hill training run out to UBC. At very beginning of ride, just as I was going past entrance to GI, on a green light, a woman in a large SUV started to make an illegal right-hand turn onto GI. Fortunately I was able to avoid a collision and she stopped when she finally saw me. Of course she was most apologetic but I still gave her a piece of my mind. Great to be one not breaking the law for a change!

Lived to ride another day and had a grand, grand outing with Whistler Woman this morning. We rendezvoused at Brock House at just after 9:00 am and proceeded out to UBC. On Marine Sara put her head down and I drafted behind her all the way to Dunbar. By the time we turned off on Barnard to loop back under Arthur Laing, I was averaging 24.1 km/hr, best for me ever, on that run. Down Kent and then over CSTB to make for Iona. Once past Templeton, Whistler Woman told me to tuck in behind her and I drafted all the way to the turn off just past the pumping station. Lost her here as I slowed down a tad and once I was up to speed again I knew I'd not catch her. Even though I was benefiting, immeasurably, from all her hard work, I still had to concentrate rather intensely, just to keep up with her rear wheel. Hard to believe but I was keeping an AVG of around 28 km/hr on way out. This dropped to 22-23 km/hr after the above-mentioned turn-off when I had to fight the head wind without my domestique!

Return leg was quite enjoyable as you can imagine and we sailed along, easily now, side by side, at over 32 km/hr for most of way back. Past River Rock and then over CSTB to head east on Kent to do a quick run into industrial park past Boundary. Back to Heather but wind wasn't quite so fierce so not quite as much of a factor. Took Heather to 49th and then made for Marine again. Once there, Wonder Woman took up lead position to allow me to draft once more. My legs were starting to tire with the pace and I lost her at the dogleg around the corner from the lights at Wesbrook.

On to 16th for a quick run past the two round-abouts and then back to Marine and the run for home. Although we had the wind at our backs once down Foreshore Hill I drafted behind Sara as there was a fair bit of beach weekend traffic and was able to maintain my 24.1 km/hr AVG. Was absolutley delighted to have this on the clock and was determined to keep it that way. Knew I would drop down on short hill climb up to 4th. Did lose some speed but was able to regain it once I was racing down 4th.

Waved goodbye, with profuse thanks, to Whistler Wonder Woman at Highbury. She went right to go home and I went left to make for Point Grey. One last bottle neck, Kits Pool, in terms of losing speed, but my fears were unfounded as park was relatively quiet. Once Kits Point was behind me, I was home free. Even caught the light at entrance to GI so I knew I'd be able to maintain my 24+km/hr AVG even if it meant having to head to Dean's Store as a city bus was blocking entrance to Heartbreak Terrace parkade. Quick turnaround there and then ride was over! Stats for today's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/525539490#.U6X323uJp_Y.email 

Very, very pleased, as I already mentioned, with highest AVG I've ever managed to sustain over 100 km. Certainly wouldn't have been able to achieve this figure without Sara so I'm truly appreciative, obviously, of her companionship. Only wish I could tire her out!

Must away as we are having Aussies for dinner. Myra and Ron are close friends and neighbours of our close friends, Kathleen and Steve, in North Harcourt, near Bendigo, Victoria. They have been on a cruise to Alaska and returned to Vancouver some time this afternoon. Zoe, (K's/S's daughter, living here with Matt, her husband, for last two years), will collect them from their hotel and bring them over. Ron and Myra own many of the apple orchards in the area, a family business that goes back three or four generations. 

If you are interested in a ride tomorrow Raymond, let me know. Trust all goes well in Whitehorse, Giorgio. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Some shots of last few days with Coffaros. Dinner at Le Crocodile on Tuesday; bbq, with Freeloaders, Wednesday; loot bag from Coffaros! Liberty Distillery on Thursday; Denise Gross and Sara; Wild Bill sampling David's Zinfandel; Sarge flamin' chicken! Ted and Elaine, et al, mesmerized by Patrizzio pontificating! 

Thanks for sponsoring me in the 2014 Scotiabank Charity Challenge at the Scotiabank Vancouver Half Marathon & 5k. Corinne Durston

Hello Cornwall! Trust everyone is well. Been pretty busy here, of late, with visiting Californians. Great time and plenty of stories which I'll save until September. Speaking of which, The Millionaires have asked if we'd like to house/cat sit from September 13th to 18th, in Parksville, just out of Nanaimo. I know that you arrive on the 10th but if you were interested in joining us you would be welcome for entire time or any part thereof. If you'd like to come over but not for the full five nights you could take bus to Horseshoe Bay and walk on ferry to Nanaimo and we'd meet you in Departure Bay. You both could use their bikes while there. Some lovely rides/walks/hikes. Plenty of room and plenty to do so think about it. Curl up in front of fireplace and read if feeling lazy. Anyway, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly.

Chloë just arrived as she is staying for dinner. (She sends fond regards!) Tomorrow, she, Cora Lee, Flamin' and Joanne, (another friend and neighbour), are doing a 5 km walk, Scotia Bank Charity Challenge, around parts of Stanely Park. Various charities participate and they are doing it for Aunt Leahs. I'm just a lowly sponsor and maligned chauffeur! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Wild Bill! Thanks for your kind words! Pleased, of course, you enjoyed yourselves. Will pass along your comment to David. I did know that Big Dave was dealing with power of attorney issues and I gather, from what you say, that it has not been an easy time.Thank Denise for helping out with Chloë's organization. Much appreciated.   Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Glasgow! Trust you are both well. When are you back? Been pretty busy here, of late, with visiting Californians. Great time and plenty of stories which I'll save until your first bridge lesson! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Ahh, thanks for letting me know that all went well.  Ron and Myra will tell everyone within a thousand miles of here about your hospitality.  I'm about to look up the results of the Marathon, and read a missive from Z on it.  Cheers.                              Hi again, Stefano!

Trust you have heard about Zoe's/Matt's run. How did they fare? The Goils didn't see them at Aunt Leah's booth after the run/walk.
Cheers, Patrizzio!






No comments:

Post a Comment