Saturday 14 June 2014

Estádio Mineirão, Belo Horizonte Blues: Saturday, June 14th!

 “That’s great, tell him he’s Pele and get him back on.” - John Lambie, Patrick Thistle manager, when told a concussed striker did not know who he was.
2014 FIFA World Cup, Group C, Match starts at 9:00 AM
               Colombia

The Colombia national football team represents Colombia in international football competitions and is controlled by the Colombian Football Federation. It is a member of the CONMEBOL.
             Greece

The Greek national football team represents Greece in association football and is controlled by the Hellenic Football Federation, the governing body for football in Greece.

Hi Pat, Your week of riding sounds great.  I had a good 2 hours training clinic last night, except for the part when I was run off the road by a big pick up truck.  I am going to pass on committing to a ride tomorrow, but thanks.  Dermot's mom is coming for lunch so I should be here, and the weather might put me off.  I was really tired after our ride last week.  The shooting of the Reckless guy is just awful.  I'm so glad he'll survive.  Thank you, and we're looking forward to the BBQ party with you and Corinne.  Ciao!

Hi Lucky Whistler Woman!

What happened? Where were you? I assume you were on your bike but perhaps you were driving. No matter as long as you are okay. If cycling, how did your bike fare? What a horrible experience, although you seem rather stoic about it. Perhaps you are still in shock and I need to rush over with some cask strength single malt to snap you out of your daze! On the other hand, perhaps just a crafty excuse not to ride with me after I "exhausted" you last week. Here I thought that you were EverReady Mountain Woman. Almost a pleasure to know that you are human and not Indestructo Rabbit behind your soft-spoken, mild-mannered Prince George exterior! Anyway, take care of yourself. Paul's horrific shooting is more than enough trauma for the cycling community without adding you to the list of victims.


With respect to the 19th, guests will start arriving anytime after 5:30 am but come when schedules allow. I doubt we will start supper proper until 7:30 pm what with appetizers, visiting, (not to mention tippling!), etc.

Arrivederci Fair Weather Woman! (I thought, bye the bye, that you upheld all the hard core rider's tenets!) Cheers, Patrizzio!


'Morning, Pat. The bike thing was kind of scary for sure.  I was riding east on Marine Drive, in the left lane, approaching Camosun Street.  I usually make an illegal (shock) turn there but this time I saw a vehicle (big bully truck) coming from Camosun to enter onto Marine.  So I kept going straight, planning to hang a left at the cross walk and then proceed up Camosun.  Well, the truck driver didn't wait for me to clear the way and started driving onto Marine while I was still there!!  Fortunately, there were no vehicles immediately to my right as I needed to move quickly out of the way.  

I rode through the lights and then up on to the grassy area.  I turned to see where the truck was and saw it proceeding along Marine.  The air was a dark shade of blue from my cursing, very unladylike for sure.  Me and my bike were unhurt but throughly pissed off.  It does, however, pale in comparison to the shooting incident.  My neighbour said to me - This is Vancouver, not the United States.....what's going on?


On a funnier note, I was expecting to hear from you by phone or email yesterday so around 3:30 my phone rang (at work) and I thought the person was you.  He said  Is this Sara McGillivray, The Sara McGillivray?  And I said, Yes, this is The Sara McGillivray.  My secretary is away at the moment so I am answering the phone myself!  Ha ha.  Then I realized that it wasn't you.  The guy was pretty funny about it, said his day had been kind of humdrum up to that point.  The kicker is that he has an English accent - why I thought he was you, I don't know.



I have a clever gluten-free idea for desert.  Looking forward to seeing you and Corinne and meeting your friends! Sara

Hi Illegal Sara! Had to chuckle at the dark blue air on Marine! Still, things happen so damn quickly that nothing is a laughing matter. Suppose I'm happiest about the fact that you are still able to make dessert, gluten-free or otherwise! I suppose I could have asked your secretary to make something if you were in a full body cast!

Enjoy rest of weekend. See you and Dermot on Thursday. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi, I'm going down to the Athlete's village for MEC's Bike Fest. Maybe I can pick up a free water bottle and snacks! See you Thursday. Sara
 Hi Freeloader! Only gluten-free snacks! If you have time/inclination, drop by with your loot afterwards and I'll give you a free java and lighten your haul!!! Cheers, From one Freeloader to Another! 


Darn,  I just got home and saw your message.   A GI Java would've been great,  thanks.   I did a free water bottle and socks!!   Thanks and see you Thursday.   Sara.

TODAY IS ANDRE'S 58th BIRTHDAY!. . . but you did not hear it from me.  Rosemary XXX

Hi Rosemary! Trust you are well. Thanks for reminding us about Andre's birthday. (Hope his health is fine.) Mum's the word!!!

Coincidentally, we were celebrating another birthday last evening. It was a First Birthday, however. Avery, Flamin's/Sarge's first grandchild, from their middle child, Kid Chelene, aka, Corey, and Beckster, aka Rebecca, celebrated actual day last week in Kamloops, (Becs is from there.), so they had another party for Vancouver friends/relatives yesterday.


Have been enjoying pretty sunny weather, (although it is raining lightly as I scribe), of late, so great for riding, of course. Had a lovely evening at VWF Sneak Preview at GI Hotel on Thursday. List of authors who will be attending Festival in October is presented. Some really exciting people have been booked. Among a string of other notables, really looking forward to England's David Mitchell, (Ghostwritten, number9dream, Cloud Atlas, Black Swan Green, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, The Bone Clocks, latest novel), who attended a number of years ago and was simply terrific. Enjoyed a lovely meal at the hotel's Dockside restaurant after reception and only had to toddle home after knocking back a couple of bottles of wine!
 

Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: VWF director, Hal Wake announcing attendees; dinner with Lynne, Brenda and Cora Lee; "teenagers" from last hatchings of Canada Geese here on GI, we strolled by on way home; my hors d'oeuvres for birthday party; Birthday Goils! Cora Lee trying to regain her lost youth!!!


Hi Giorgio! Trust you are well and all goes well! This morning I had a disturbing message from Sara. We had talked, last Saturday, about riding today and I'd sent a message to see if we were on or not. She is fine. Told her I was very pleased she survived without a scratch, if only because she had agreed to bring a gluten-free dessert to Coffaro bbq this coming Thursday! Take care of yourself. Cheers, Il Conduttore! Pics: Angela and George McWhirter at VWF reception.

P, thanks for updates and news on Paul -- disturbing! All is good with us. Great trip up. Busy time here and then we are off to Quiet Lake for a week. Will update when the merry go round stops. Fond regards to all, W 
Hi Raymond! Trust you and your garden are well what with last bit of rain! Thanks for suggesting Iona as I really enjoyed the outing. Great to be able to chat as well. Talk soon. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Gorgeous lavender plantings outside complex where Beckster/Kid Chelene live. 

Dear Artisan Winemaker/Western Canada Bridge Tournament Over-bidder!

Can hardly wait to pit myself against you and your "suicidal" bidding partner but think I'll forgo first few "artisanal" vintages, at least until I read Robert Parker's reviews of Naramata Cellars!
Thanks for reminding me about body armour!
Buona Fortuna with report writing, Consultant Man! Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Your hors d'ouevres look like something that the Red Viper ate right before his head was crushed like a softshell crab by The Mountain...were the olives imported from Dorn?


The boys and I would like to do readings of which we currently in discussion for the memorial. It is a fantastic night in LA...love to all! See you soon in fact...time flies during summer

Hi Hunky Patrizzio, I have consulted with my darling and she informs me that "we" would like to contribute a tomato with mint salad. 

Hi Divine Denise and Free Willy! A tomatoe/mint salad sounds heavenly! Thanks! Looking forward to seeing The Panamanians! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Colin and Yumi! Just to remind you, the bbq with Pat and David Coffaro is still on for Thursday, June 19th, anytime after 5:30 pm, with about 20 people. An appetizer or a green salad would be much appreciated. Since one of each is already coming  a normal size dish will be more than fine. Let me know what you'd like to bring. Look forward to continuing Long Table chat! Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Kids! Thanks for lovely birthday party, Beckerster/Kid Chelene! Just to remind you busy people, the bbq with Pat and David Coffaro is still on for Thursday, June 19th, anytime after 5:30 pm, with about 20 people. (Sory you can't attend Beckster!) Would you be able to concoct another of your fabulous gluten-free desserts, Flamin'? A vegetable dish of some sort would be much appreciated, Kid, but give me a shout if this poses a problem with respect to work, timing, etc. Since one of each is already coming, a normal size dish will be more than fine. Let me know if this is okay for everyone. Thanks.

With respect to Canada Day poster, I assume we are having bash on Tuesday July 1st. Let me know if this is not the case. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Pat, I had my schedule wrong. I am working the night of the 19th and becca is off. Maybe I can come by on the 18th. Will they be around then?

Hi Kid Chelene! Too, too bad about working on Thursday. Will Beckster and Avery be coming? Hope so. Anyway, I think we will be going to Edibles with Coffaros, GI, on Wednesday evening but you are certainly welcome to pop by to meet them before or after dinner, depending on your schedule. We can be in touch closer to the day to make arrangements as I'm not sure of exact plans earlier. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Pat,The kind of incident that happened to Sara happens all too frequently and we all have to be extra vigilant. I was cut off myself today travelling north on Yew St, at 8th on my way to False Creek for teaching.
 

I wonder what the strawberry picking is like at the moment? Just had a few snaps of the Bezier place where Jenny is staying. She sounds quite impressed with the area. Ray 

P, thanks for updates and news on Paul -- disturbing! All is good with us. Great trip up. Busy time here and then we are off to Quiet Lake for a week. Will update when the merry go round stops. Fond regards to all, W

No comments:

Post a Comment