Saturday 7 June 2014

Seymour Demo Forest Black Spruce Blues: Saturday, June 7th!

 Anyone can look for fashion in a boutique or history in a museum. The creative explorer looks for history in a hardware store and fashion in an airport. -Robert S. Wieder, journalist
Hastings Park Racecourse!
Marvin Angelo Mercado Nice day at the track!

Going to go to the track. Around 1 PM. The race is around 3 30. Wayne

I'm in! Can I get a ride with you two? Corinne 


You can. Michele and I are going to go with Pat for a couple of hours this morning and be home around 11. Wayne 
  • Patrick James Dunn Great shot, Marvinator! Did you see me up at Seymour Demo Forest? Back home just before 2:00 pm so won't make it to Hastings. However, will watch The Belmont here at the Islay Inn! Hello to all the betting fiends! Cheers!

See you in an hour. Perfect day for a ride! 


Hi Whistler Woman, et al! Whirlygig and Sarge will join us so we will be The Four Horsepeople of the Apocalypse on ride today. However, other two lads may well only do part of planned route to SDF. See everyone at 9:00! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

P, good ride today, thanks. Great to meet Sarah. Hope your ride to SDF was as good as the start. Got a good book or two I can borrow to schlepp to Yukon? These need not be throw aways. I will be bringing them back. W 

Hi Giggster! Grand ride indeed. Glad you had a chance to meet Sara. She is a wonderful cyclist, as I'm sure you perceived, but also a great riding companion. We have a ball, chatting and joshing, all the time. After we said goodbye, we two continued on towards Seymour Demo Forest. Climb up, past Cap U, wasn't as tough as I remembered so pleased about that. Some sort of mountain bike race was taking place as we made our way up Lillooet Road. Neither of us had ever seen so many "mountaineers" there before but they soon left road for trails which parallel pavement so we had idyllic setting all to ourselves, once a little bit past cemetery.
 

Ride up to Seymour Falls Dam was wonderful, cool and quiet, although a fair number of "recreational" cyclists along with we, and more, "elite" riders! We braved the Low Level Road and all the NO CYCLISTS signs, due to on-going construction, both coming and going. Received the "death stare" from a flag-woman there on return leg, as well as some . Took the sidewalk near the top of the hill out of the Esplanade where it meets 3rd to cut back onto Bewicke and then it was easy sailing. Decided to avoid the hordes on the Seawall out of Stanley Park so kept to road and went over Burrard to Kits Point.
 

By this time I had about 84 km on the clock so I rode with Whistler Woman all the way to Alma. She made for home there and I continued, just past Brock House, and then retraced route, doing a few "necessary" dipsy-doodles around Kits Point so that I's break the 100 km mark when back at the Bat out of Hell Terrace! Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/515808683#.U5OMo8mE3_Q.email

Great to have ridden with you and Flamin'/Sarge, and Sara, of course. We hope to ride Iona way next Saturday so will certainly ask Robo Man if he wishes to join us. Found Chloë at home, on her lunch break, so had a quick visit before she returned to brewery. Cora Lee joined Sutherlands who have gone to Hastings Park for the afternoon. Sorry to see California Chrome come up short for Triple Crown but that's the ponies, I guess!



I'm delighted to offer you any number of books. I'll give you a call to see what you might like. As well, I'll bring over that electric trimmer for your "new" Japanese garden! Cheers, Il Conduttore! 

Hi there! Are you guys in town this year when the Folk Festival is on? If so are you going? So much fun when you go! Let me know, Sylvia 

Hi Sylvia, yes we have our tickets and are looking forward to it. You must sit with us. Hope to see you before then. Cheers, Corinne


Hi Sylvia and Raymondo!

Great that you will be attending Folk Fest. As Cora Lee mentioned, please join us on our blanket! Perhaps you can persuade Robo Man to make an appearance. As an "Elder", (as we are), weekend passes are only $70!
 

Enjoyed a terrific ride today. Whirlygig had a chance to meet my friend Sara.  Sarge and Flamin' rode with us to Stanley Park while Giggster carried on to do an up-and-over to end of Spirit Trail and then headed back. Great to have ridden with Giggenheimer, (Flamin'/Sarge, and Sara, of course), as he told me, while rounding Brockton Point, that he is hoping to move to Galiano as of July 15th or so, instead of end of that month, as originally planned!


Sara and I hope to ride out Iona way next Saturday so will contact you, ahead of time, Robo Man, should you wish to join us. Found Chloë at home, on her lunch break, so had a quick visit before she returned to brewery. Cora Lee joined Sutherlands who have gone to Hastings Park for the afternoon. Sorry to see California Chrome come up short for Triple Crown but that's the ponies, I guess!

Will be in touch about Folk Fest, etc. As well, am hoping we might host a small get-together for Giorgio before he leaves for Galiano. Need to dovetail it with my week in Naramata, pre-Granfondo training, (July 7th/8th through 14th), and then Folk Fest. We leave for Winnipeg on July 22nd and won't be back until August 19th or so. George leaves for Whitehorse tomorrow and won't be back until end of June. Anyway, we'll chat and see what might work. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Great! I will get tickets soon to take advantage of early bird rates.  Sadly I don't yet qualify for the " elders" rate.  Will the Sutherland's also be attending ? Let's hope the weather cooperates.  I can't see Ray attending.  If it couldn't be Roy Orbison he wouldn't be interested.  Doesn't like that newfangled music ( and hates crowds) It would be nice to have a party for George and Kerry if at all possible. Timing might be tricky. We are here until later in the summer. Sylvia. 

Pat, Not much of a music fan so probably won't be in attendance at the Folk Festival. Would like to ride next Saturday but probably still working, depending on how teachers' strike vote goes.

Had Ken and Joanne here from Kimberley for a few days. He and I have been close friends since growing up as youngsters around the corner from one another. Showed him some of the area on bikes - Spanish Banks, UBC, Iona, and Steveston. Stopped at Pajo's for fish and chips in Steveston and had several enjoyable hours. Ken was on my old bike but he's a very strong rider and is starting to commence training for a 160km granfondo. The path to Steveston is spectacular at the moment with poppies lining much of the trail. Worth the ride for that alone. Several ladies with easels along the trail painting the scene. Ray

P, thank you for the delivery of books on loan. That was beyond the call. I don't know how I ended up between books but you saved me with the perfect selection for the road.

I am surprised that you did not offer the Audi TT ragtop owner a straight trade for the Hybrid. I could have tested it on a short ride to Yukon.

And please thank Corinne for the beard trimmer that will be put to good use with the hippies at the north island fair. Safe riding over the next three weeks. Be sure to give Ray my best. Be we
ll, W

Hi On The Road People from the Islay Inn Bookmobile! Thanks for wonderful snort lasterday aft! Doesn't get much better. Sitting on porch in late afternoon sun, sipping nectar and joshing! Not a care in the world!

Had considered, briefly, a swap, but Audi doesn't have enough carrying capacity for either books or malt! I want the movie rights for Galiano Beard Trimmer Massacre VII. We'll spit on Game of Thrones, rubbing our hands together on the way to the Swiss bank!

Had a note from Robo Man and he mentioned he might not be able to ride, given teacher's strike, etc. Guess he'll be even more of a one-man tutor show for duration.

Thank Carlos for invitation. I'm pretty sure I'd like to ride for Team Jackal so let's talk seriously, when back. We'll pulverize/devour any and all opposition! The route will be littered with twisted frames and mauled cyclisitii as we pillage our way to Whistler! Drive safely, drink responsibly and brush/floss every night, after gargling with anaemic porch cleaner! Cheers, Il Conduttore! Pics: Hastings Park Headgear!


[Hi Goils! Yda, Arnie, Laura and Kaslo dropped in around 9:00 pm yesterday evening. Wonderful visit as we'd not seen Laura in some time and Y/A in years! Yda had her right hip replaced but a month ago and is doing very well with recuperation process. Laura brought us all some lovely gifts. [Thank you, Laura!] I received a natty bow tie from one of her film shoots, worn by Brad Pitt! I spit on Hallmark! [Ayn's cable channel! I seem to be expectorating on many things, of late!]
 

Laura, could you send me Yda's email address or forward snaps to her? Thanks. Hope to see you again, when Henning is here. Pics: Cora Lee in her Hastings/Belmont Stakes finery! Kaslo and Co!

It was so lovely! Xoxo See my photos attached. (one at Island Inn & one at Mario's ice cream after)

Hi Laura! Thanks for your snaps. I should have come with you to Mario's! Thanks, as well, for email addresses. Much appreciated. Cheers, Patrizzio! 


I thought so too about you guys joining. Next time, please do come to Marios. It is fun, even when it’s late...

Hi Laura! It's a deal! I am a longtime fan of Mario's ice-cream! Cheers, Trizzio! 

Hi, Patrick and Corinne:

Thanks for a great evening -- your hospitality even extending to accommodating me for a short feet-up respite.  Not my usual practice, but I have been very rundown with a cold for the past week or so, and together with the previous imbibing, it seemed like a good idea.

What a pleasure it has been to reconnect with Eyob and his family.  He is really an example of the capacity of the human spirit to triumph over adversity.  He has a good life now, and seems completely un-embittered.  Such an inspiration.
 

It was a pleasure as well to meet Wayne and Michelle.  I'll certainly consult with them when, as I hope to do in the next couple of years, I go to Newfoundland.  It is definitely high on my bucket list.  The only Canadian province I've never visited.  Sandy and her family had a holiday there a number of years ago that said was one of their best ever.

I'm attaching the Lemon Coconut Tart recipe - it was very gratifying that the entire thing was eaten and apparently enjoyed!  Lemon is one of my favourite flavours, and it is nice to find a gluten-free, dairy-free recipe that stands well on its own and isn't just a lame imitation of something else. (I'm sure you've already found many such recipes!)  Not being loaded with cream cheese, whipping cream, etc.,  it's pleasingly light.  It was my first try on this recipe, and I've decided that it's a keeper.
 


The next couple of weeks will be busy, wrapping up at the Children's Library, and with Sandy's family due to visit.  Hope to see you soon.  Meanwhile, my contact at Luxe India is Vishal Mehra.  Despite the name "Luxe" they do all ranges and will fully customize an itinerary.  I have used them for two trips now, and they really are excellent.  Robbie Burma used them on my recommendation and reported that they were first class.  Undoubtedly, there are other companies that provide services of similar quality, but in this case, I can whole-heartedly recommend based on personal experience. Vishal's email address is vishal@luxeindia.in Bye for now and thanks again. Janet 

Hi Janet!

Glad you made it home after your "cat-nap"! Thank you again for simply delicious dessert and now the recipe! Much appreciated, on both fronts. Thanks, as well, for Vishal's email address. We'll probably be in touch once we've had a chance to talk more with Lynne and Peter. Flamin' and Sarge will be more than glad to offer suggestions/advice on The Rock whenever you decide to visit. Anyway, busy time, like you, with work and Sandy's visit. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Last night!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment