Sunday 13 July 2014

Granfondo Peach Orchard Blues: Sunday, July 13th!

A language is a dialect that has an army and a navy. -Max Weinreich, linguist and author (1894-1969) 

Temperature rising: 19º C to 35º C!


Hi West Point! See you at Poplar Grove! Thanks! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Up at 5:00 am to have a quick shower to loosen up my back and limbs for ride ahead. Had a quick jolt of java to kick start myself as I made a couple of pieces of toast, slathered with peanut butter and honey. Ted wished me Good Luck, and I to him, as he left house at 5:30 am. He preferred to lube up at start, after he parked his truck. Waving goodbye, I ate a banana I then made myself another sandwich, this time cheese and tomatoe. By the time Sarge was up it was around 6:15 am and I went to put on a heavy coat of sunscreen, kissed Cora Lee farewell and we were off. Lovely, lovely, morning, still pleasantly cool so I was hoping to use as much of this temperature as I could before heat of day began to take its inevitable toll. My domestique dropped me off a block or so from my assigned muster point and after he took a snap or two, he drove off back to Naramata.

Didn't take me long to find "E" section, my assigned kick-of point and I chatted with a few people around me. Quite interesting to hear about everyone's expectations, etc. Most of the riders I talked to had done event before so they were quite confident, or so it seemed to me. Had to wait about 10 minutes before start time, right at 7:00 am. However, took us almost 7 minutes to pass actual Start Line, as I heard the announcer say that the first riders had left 6 minutes and 40 seconds beforehand.

Quite slow going, as one could imagine, at first, bit of stopping and starting a number of times until pack thinned out sufficiently for most people to start riding without being impeded by those ahead or alongside. I didn't mind the snail's pace as it gave me a chance to find my legs, so to speak, and once I started the ascent of Vancouver St, felt pretty good. Again, my training had paid off as I didn't find the climb past Poplar Grove at all difficult, especially since it was done much more slowly, due to still fairly thick concentration of riders, than on earlier rides. 

As I came around the corner onto Upper Bench Road I heard my name shouted and I saw Sarge there. After dropping me off, he decided not to return to Naramata immediately and had waited to cheer me on. I shouted out his name as I whizzed past and by then I was really off. Picked up speed on downhill although was very careful about turns and other riders. (Later learned that there had been a crash, witnessed by Sarge, at the very corner on which he was standing. He wasn't sure what had caused a number of riders to fall but I certainly didn't want that to happen to me, obviously!) Wasn't long before we were back on Lakeshore and then Riverside. Next over canal and then en route to Summerland. 

At the start I was riding by myself, more or less, being passed by other individuals or teams. A few minutes along this initial stretch adn I was passed by three people, a couple and an individual I thought i may well have seen on a few of my training rides. At any rate, sicne we were heading into the wind and I thought that their speed was something I could match, I took off after them and drafted with them virtually all the way to where Lakeshore Dr, in Summerland, leaves Hwy 97. The younger couple were a bit ahead by this time and the chap I was behind slowed down, talking to someone on the phone mounted on his handlebars. Thanking him, mentally, I passed him, noting I was clocking about 26 km/hr. Was very pleased with this as I knew I would have almost certainly been slower had it not been for the drafting. 

Was soon at the foot of Peach Orchard and didn't have to worry about any congestion here as everyone was well spaced as we started the almost 2 km climb. Again, I knew precisely what was in store so I took my time and plugged away, even moving over to the left hand side of the road, (It was completely closed to traffic.), to take advantage of the shade there. Wasn't even breathing that heavily when I reached the top and I was soon on new territory. I had assumed route took us back to Hwy 97 via Jubilee and I had ridden this way on one of my earlier forays. Since this was not the case, I was hoping that the remaining climbs would not be overly punishing and once clear of the first Aid Station, (I spit on Aid Stations, water, fruit, (watermelon, oranges, bananas), snacks, (nut bars, muffins), I found out that the two or three hills left were not really very challenging and I was able to climb them without even shifting down but a few gears.

Once the real descent began, essentially at the intersection of Victoria Rd/Lewes Ave and Hillborn St, the wings are on. Never ridden down this hill before although have driven it a number of times, visiting Dirty Laundry and Silkscarf wineries, and almost felt like yelling all the way down, so exhilarating was the swoopage, Dear Reader. Had to be careful, though, as there are some pretty tight curves/turns along Happy Valley Rd/Gartrell Rd/Arkell Rd before one is on the flat again and back on he Okanagan Hwy/97 and making for Penticton.

By this time I was back at around 24 km/hr, in spite of swift descent, but had the benefit of the wind at my back so I knew i was in pretty good shape, AVG speed wise. Rode for a bit by myself and when a number of riders past me, going at a pace I thought I could match and maintain, I tagged along. Left a few of these riders behind as I tucked in after one particular couple, man leading, since I felt their pace was just about what I wanted, given how I felt and what was still ahead. Followed them all the way back across Start Line in Penticton, and then I think I passed them on Main St, on way out of town, making for Skaha Lake.

Wind still behind me and I knew this would be the case all the way to Road 22, half way to Osoyoos, so felt pretty good. Knew I'd probably be able to keep up an AVG of perhaps 25 km/hr until it was time to ride back up Hwy 97 towards Oliver, without really having to expend an inordinate amount of energy. At any rate, not long after I found myself on Lakeside Rd a chap pulled up alongside and we chatted, all the way to McClean Creek Rd. Greg is from Vernon and has done the Granfondo each year since it started here in Penticton. About the same age as I am, I think, but he said he weighed about 250 lbs. I thought I might lose him, at times, but managed to stay with him, and then it was I who left him behind once we started first climb up McLean. 

Sun was a bit hot on steepest part of hill but once I reached the top, breeze was back and I didn't feel at all uncomfortable. Rode with a pleasant young woman from Nanton, near High River, AB, for most of the course here, flat through the surrounding hills. Two other, older female riders, just behind us, were from Revelstoke and they knew our good friends, Gwynne and Geoff Battersby, so I asked them to say hello. (We might stop and see the Battersbys on our coming trip to Winnipeg.) Women were only doing the Mediofondo so I waved goodbye and left them behind as I sailed down into OK Falls. 

Bit of jog back towards Penticton to where Aid Station is located near the beach there on 7th St. Very congested here and since I didn't wish to risk The Dreaded Burning Ground, I actually rode, slowly, through an open-sided canopy tent to avoid bike jam between Through Lane and Stopping Lane. Once clear of this completely unnecessary blockage, I was back alone again. Rise out of OK Falls to Oliver Ranch Rd was a little longer and required a tad more exertion than I had remembered but still nothing punishing. Soon hurtling down towards Hwy 97 and was pleased to note that the cattle guard jsut befoer the intersection of the two roads was covered with plywood so no difficulty negotiating it. 

Almost felt a bit lonely on this stretch as I was only passed by a few riders, passing one or two slower cyclists myself. Still, I was pleased at my progress and I was nearing the halfway mark, not far north of Tuc-El-Nuit Rd. Once here, one kicks left from Hwy 97, making for Quinta Ferreira, and the first of a reasonable hill just before the winery itself. Now on Black Sage Rd, Le Vieux Pin, Aid Station #4, is next. Thought about stopping here but since my camel pack was still almost full, I pushed on, especially since grade is essentially downhill for next 15 km or so. Once Road 22 came into sight I had logged roughly 100+ km and I knew that the hard work was about to begin, with the ascent of Fairview Mtn looming ahead on Hwy 97 N!

Head wind wasn't too, too bad along stretch of highway back towards Oliver. More cycle traffic here as ride was begiining to take its toll. Passed quite a few riders who had passed me earlier. I tucked in behind a young woman for a bit but after a few km or so I knew I could travel more quickly without doing harm to myself. Pressed on, still taking my time and making sure I'd take three long sips every 5 km, something I'd done and maintained, ever since ride started. I even took a number of magnesium pills, one every 40 km or so, in the theory that they might help ward off cramping, something I was most worried about, given heat and overall distance.

Plugged away on Hwy 97 and with about 112 km under my belt turned off  on Road 5, making slight climb to Sumac St and then a left onto Old Golf Course Rd and the final assault of Everest was underway. Took a couple of extra sips from my camel pack as I left Fairview Golf Course and the Aid Station there behind. Climb to Fairview Cellars is slow and steady but steepest part comes between there and Fairview Rd, basically the top of the hill. Not that many riders here so had plenty of room to seek out shade, on either side of road, as patches of same presented themselves. A number of people were walking their bikes up this stretch but I kept going, not worrying, overly, but knowing I'd be very happy to have completed it. 

Was delighted to see, as I came around the slight bend that allows sight of the crest of hill to see a chap sitting in a lawn chair at the end of his driveway, spraying anyone who wanted a dousing with his garden hose. I certainly anted a drenching so told him to soak me as best he could. Spray felt wonderful indeed and watering, coming when it did really helped to cool me down. Once on Fairview, for but a short stretch, I knew I still had a number of good climbs ahead but the most punishing, by far, were over. Soon on Willowbrook Rd I had 120 km on the clock and that meant only two more hours/40 km +/- to go. 

From this point on I was mainly concerned about the amount of water remaining in my camel pack, rather than the terrain ahead. I knew I had to keep drinking regularly to keep from cramping. Stubbornly, I didn't want to stop at the last Aid Station as I came past the Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory, so I banishing all thoughts of the delicious looking watermelon slices being handed out there, from my mind, I cycled on towards St Andrews By the Lake. Once here, I knew I was pretty much home free. Even the last, longish, fairly punishing climb before one reaches the golf course here wasn't as bad as I had thought it might be. Even left quite a few younger riders behind me as I made my way up the two or three switchbacks leading to the top.

With 140 km on my odometer I made the glorious, glorious, fairly rapid descent, on smooth, smooth tarmac towards Hwy 97. Just one last cattle guard to negotiate at the bottom and then a maddening, short, quite steep rise to reach the highway itself. Once here, about 14 km left, (posted on highway sign), and although the wind is against one again, but only a few long, slightly uphill grades left before final descent into Penticton itself. However, just after I passed the turnoff to Kaleden I felt the first twinge of cramp and I was worried that so close to finishing, I'd be thwarted from crossing the finishing line under my own steam. First thing I did was stand up as much as possible. (This seems to provide some relief to my thigh muscles, especially on downhill runs.) As well, I started to drink, and greedily so, as I thought I might as well not worry, at this stage, if I'd run out of liquid. With under 10 km to go I threw caution to the wind and sipped whenever my mouth became dry. 

Pleased to say that although I had a few twinges more, from time to time, nothing serious enough to require me to stop. What I did, however, was gear way down to reduce resistance, on the theory that this lessened stress might prevent my leg muscles from cramping. Last 5 or 6 km, along Main St are slightly uphill and still going into the wind, they seem to stretch forever. Only real regret I have is that if I had felt stronger, at this point, I think I would have been able to push my AVG to 24 km/hr or slightly better, up from final 23.9 km/hr. However, since I was genuinely worried that if I tried to cycle more aggressively, I might cause serious cramping, I contented myself with a slower approach. Young woman came by me, about 2 km out, and congratulated me on my ride. Did felt quite pleased by then and on remaining bit was able to coast downhill so I knew I'd done it! Even dipsy-doodled for about 50 metres or so past official finish line so that 160 km would register on my Garmin, Dear Reader! Enjoyed hearing my name, age, home and time announced as I crossed the finish line at Gyro Park, my attached chip providing officials with that information.

Once I'd had my chip removed from my bike, I made my way to secure bike parking area and left my Trek there. At the entrance, volunteers offer riders a small towel, soaked in ice water, to wrap around your neck and/or mop your face with. Felt divine. Went immediately to food tent where I drank two or three glasses of water and then four or five small tetra paks of juice.Then I started in on the watermelon slices. Happy to report that my legs felt pretty good and I didn't have any cramping at all. Still, I moved carefully, not wanting to giv emy body any excuses to hit back. Soon as I'd quenched my thirst I called Cora Lee. She and Peter were actually en route to park when we spoke. I had managed to finish about 45 minutes earlier than I had estimated my overall time would be so that it why they were not there already, waiting to wave me in. 

Good looking woman...But who's that old guy she's with?
While I was waiting for my domestiques to arrive, I stood in line for my burger even though I wasn't the least bit hungry, at the time. (I kept it in the fridge back at The Naramata Inn, as I knew I'd enjoy it, for lunch, net day, on drive back to Vancouver.) Back to Food Tent to load up on fruit bars, (more trip fodder), and a bit more watermelon. Was standing in the shade, listening to some of the activity on the stage there when Peter hailed me, Cora Lee close behind. They congratulated me on the ride and then we made for parkade to retrieve my steed. They snapped a few pictures once I'd collected my bike and then we walked the few blocks to where car was parked. Dom Jugos drove home s I didn't really want to risk cramping while at the wheel.


Home without any twinges so as soon as Cora Lee took off my cycling shoes, (again, didn't want to risk cramping by bending down to release Velcro tabs), I accepted Lynne's congratulations, made myself a cup of java and headed for shower. Relished soothing streams of fairly hot water and duly scrubbed I felt wonderful. Petros had taped fianl of World Cup so after another couple of glasses of ice water, I joined him to watch the game. After halt-time, Ted arrived. He had taken about an hour longer to complete course. His riding time was almost the same as mine but he stopped at each and every Aid Station. He knew the results of the match so he showered and took a nap while we returned to watch the second half. Nail biter which was to go into OT so we took a break for more java and then back, when play resumed, to watch as the German team finally scored, keeping the lead in spite of some fine attempts by the Argentinian squad. Was torn between both teams. Liked each very much and Argentinian Malbec, of course. Felt a bit badly for Messi as he didn't pull it off on very last play of match. Still, a terrific World Cup and one that I will certainly wish to follow next time. 
 
A horseman with his wife in a vizard
16th century. Artist unknown
Hello Lads and Lasses! Just a quick note to say that I'm quite pleased with the results of the Granfondo. Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/541009607#.U8MHsKYVqPw.email

Long and the short of it was that I crossed the finish line in 6:41:20 so around 1:45 pm. Heat wasn't as much of a factor as I had feared it might be. More details to follow but must away as Peter and I are watching recorded Final. Half time break. Cheers, Il Conduttore! 


Fantastic, Pat. At an average speed of approximately 24km per hour is also remarkable in the heat and well before the closing of the finish line. Ray

That's fantastic Patrice! I have been wanting to get in touch and say Hi and also to wish you well on the ride so glad to hear it went well. I dp think I sat down for a week as I was so busy trying to prepare for big party up here as well as some work I needed to get done.nThe party went really well and everybody had a great time. We missed having you guys here but it looks like you are having a great time too and how could you not in that gorgeous place!

Finally getting a chance to relax now and am sitting on the deck and listening to the birds and the river as I write. We are off to go river rafting on the Thomson out of Cache creek tomorrow so looking forward to that, we last did it about 24
years ago and had a super fun time. It is Jake's 16th birthday today so it is a present for him as well. We will come back and stay here tomorrow night and then head home. How long are you guys staying up there for? Hopefully we can get together before you head off to Manitoba. Say Hi to Peter and Lynne for us and love to Corrine. We'll catch up soon. Take care, Al
 

WELL DONE PATRICK. DEUCHLAND OBERALIS! from matt

Congrats!! See u Tuesday with Lamb and wine...Grogg Congrats on a good race!!! Bravo! Bravo!! Great job Daddio!!!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!!! Love you.


P, nice work. I was concerned that the heat might be an issue. It is kinda toasty here tonight. When are you back in town? Back to the packing, W
Congratulations!! What a great ride. I'm glad that the heat didn't do you in. Many barley (or malt) recovery drinks are in order!! Sara

Hi again, Once I figured out how to see your results in metric I could see that you had a really good average speed!! And, judging by your 'moving time' and 'elapsed time' you didn't touch the burning ground! Got that camelback figured out, right?! Sara 
                                                         
Home shower rehydrate, World Cup,Hors d-oeuvres on deck: dolmades baba ganoush by Garliki Brothers, Dinner: bbq's butterfly lamb, broiled/baked sliced kartofellage from The Garden of Dom Jugos, Greek saladin, washed down with a delicious 2010 Glen Carlou, Paarl, (Cabbage, Malbec, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Cab Franc), 14%, great nose, spicy, full-bodied, showing some acidity and offering pleasing tannins. Quite a velvet mouthfeel, although a bit short on the finish. with fabuloso dessert, courtesy of Theodore, chocolades and a wonderful Stag's Hollow Port, 20%, made entirely from exceptionally ripe Merlot that was hand harvested from winery's Osoyoos East Bench vineyard in early November 2011. According to The Giz: "Spicy, orange peel, liquorice, tobacco, dried herb, black cherry, walnut and rancio aromas. Sweet, fresh, round, slightly tannic palate with coffee, prune, balsamic, menthol, liquorice, tobacco, raisin and herb flavours. Solid balance and intensity." I just liked it a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment