Thursday 10 July 2014

Pre-Training McLean Creek Blues: Day 3, Thursday, July 10th!

Every reader finds himself. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument that makes it possible for the reader to discern what, without this book, he would perhaps never have seen in himself. -Marcel Proust, novelist (1871-1922) 


Hi I didn't get back to sooner because she, [Dinao], is travelling/walking in Switzerland. She has been caught in every rain shower and is experiencing an early winter - too bad.

She has a place for August and then I am not too sure exactly what she wants for September. I am assuming something affordable; however, it is Vancouver!
A 1 bedroom may be dreaming, house sitting would be nice! She is possible not staying in Vancouver past Christmas, but who knows. 




She is looking for work in Expressive Art Therapy and finishing her thesis so needless to say she has no money. She would like to live anywhere near False Creek, Commercial Drive, Main Street, Cambie, 16th etc. Does that above info help?

I just thought you might hear of something since you are the GUY!!!! Take care
Where are you right now? Rhoda 


Hi Ski! Trust you and the Great Ronaldo are well. Have forwarded your message to Cora Lee and Chloe so will see what we can find. No promises, even from The Guy! In fact, I'm in Naramata as I scribe! Must away as I need to suit and sunscreen myself. Will be in touch once back in Vancouver and report any possibilities. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Lower Mainlanders! Trust everyone is well. "Details" I promised in an earlier message! Must away as need to hit the road. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio/Dad/Il Conduttore! Pics: What I fill my camel pack with! Training diet! My coach! Where I sleep! Hardship posting!!! 

How just read over your long training email. Had a great night at arts club seeing Red Rock Diner with Patty, Chloe and Robyn. Wayne and Michele were coming and had dinner with us, but she had book tickets by mistake for the matinee rather than evening. Had a good visit with Pat.
 

Sam Rothstein obt in the Sun today. Funeral is on Friday. Too bad we should have gone. He was 93.
 

Off to get sausages for tomorrow's supper. Not sure on details of departure as is hard to pin Sutherland's down. We see them later. Take care of those cramps do not sound very pleasant. See you tomorrow, Love CoraLee

Up at 6:30 am to have breakfast, (delicious bowl of raspberries, [just picked by Petros a few minutes beforehand], blueberries, [from a local fruit stand in Oliver], and yogurt with granola. We chatted while enjoying the fruits of the land, sipping our high test java. Jugos was off to golf adn after I sent a few quick messages I suited up, loaded Trek on bike rack was heading up the driveway at just after 8:00 am. Day was still gloriously cool as I drove along Narmata Rd, drinking in the gorgeous vistas that presented themselves at every turn and twist of the road: the lush green of the vines carpeting the benches against the dry, sere, rugged hills, the stark backdrop to the shimmering lake.

Listened to an incredible CBC documentary, The Bugle and the Passing Bell, originally produced fifty years ago to commemorate the 50th anniversary of  WW I and never aired since. A ten part series and I heard the third episode. Simply remarkable first hand accounts of the horror of trench warfare, gas attacks, and the like. Just over as I pulled into parking lot at the beach front in Okanagan Falls. (Would have stayed in car until it was finished as it was so compelling.) Parked in the shade as I knew it was going to be another scorcher. Unloaded my bike, put on my cycling shoes and then made my way to public washrooms, (very, very clean), to rid myself of last bit of java. Wind was blowing fiercely, whipping up whitecaps on the lake. Lovely spectacle but I knew I would be heading straight into gale as I made my way north towards McLean Creek Road. Wanted to ride this section as it is route Granfondo takes into OK Falls.

In fact, wasn't quite as difficult as I had feared it might be and although this section of Eastside Rd, going north, presents a gradual uphill grade, with a few good hill climbs thrown in for good measure, I quite enjoyed the 5 km to the intersection of MCR and ER. While the ascent here isn't overly punishing it still requires a decent effort so I was pleased that I had reminded myself of what would be in store here. Once one reaches the crest and is in the valley there, the going is very easy, due to the flat terrain. Of course I had the wind at my back by then and so I really sailed along. 

Pretty steep descent towards OK Falls but now I was heading almost directly into wind so didn't have to use my brakes at all, so great was wind resistance. Back to my car about 40 minutes later, pleased with reconnoitre. Stats for McLean Creek ride: 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/538831008#.U791_uQQ4bM.email
 
Loaded up again and made for Oliver, parking in the very same spot I found on Tuesday. hadn't taken off my cycling shoes so as soon as I'd unloaded my bike and helmeted myself, I was off, heading up Fairview Rd towards Sumac St. Once on Sumac I started to think about whether this was the actual course route, coming up along Hwy 97 from Road 22. Decided to investigate a bit so followed Sumac until I hit Road 5 and sure enough I saw a couple of trucks. Looked like a small paving crew was working on patching rough sections and filling potholes. Asked if this was GF route, when I rode past and one of workers confirmed that it was. Continued short distance down to Hwy 97 and then retraced my steps.  Not a terribly difficult climb but by this time, on day of event, will have already logged about 115 km so any climbing will simply be more taxing.

Nothing like what awaited, however. I well knew what was in store as I made my way up Old Golf Course Road. Just past Fairview Mountain Golf Club the significant ascent begins but even this, while a goodly long stretch, is not overly steep. However, once one reaches the driveway to Fairview Cellars, on the left, the real climb begins, probably close to a km and steep enough to be a very, very good challenge, at least for me. Still, having ridden it earlier in week, I knew that if I took my time and kept plugging away, I'd be fine. In fact, I wasn't nearly as winded as on last ascent so quite pleased about that, although I was delighted when I finally rounded the corner, back onto short stretch of Fairview Rd which takes one back onto Willowbrook Rd.

As I was in the lowest possible gear, on climb, I took a great deal of care to shift into a higher gear when I was finally back on level ground so simply could not believe what happened, in almost exactly the same spot as on Tuesday's ride: my *%#$@^ chain came off! Everything had been going so well and now The Dreaded Burning Ground. Nothing to be done, of course, so I stopped and put the chain back in place. Unfortunately, my troubles were not over as I soon realized that all was not well. The chain kept slipping, no matter which gear I was in so I was quite concerned that there was something significantly wrong with derailleur or drive train. After a short period of trial and error I managed to find a number of gears that seemed to work "normally" so, stubbornly, I continued on. 

I really did want to ride this last "punishing", (Punishing as it comes towards the end of the ride and one's resources will have been depleted by distance already traveled and heat of the day. Forecast is for 30ยบ+ C! Must say that even when one is relatively "fresh", it requires a significant push.), part of ride to familiarize myself with its climbs, the better to negotiate them on Sunday, I hoped! The fact that I was now faced with the maddeningly forceful head wind didn't make things easier. I must admit, Dear Reader, that I did feel rather upset at this point. Nevertheless, I plugged on and gradually found a rhythm that calmed my frazzled nerves. From the very beginning of the day's rides I was paying close attention to my liquid intake and had been taking long draughts from my camel pack, at least every 5 km, and my legs felt fine. This alone raised my spirits and I began to enjoy the ride and my wonderful surroundings.

Knew that once I reached St Andrew's By The Lake I was close to the top on White Lake Rd so shortly after I passed the gold course there I turned around and made my way back towards Oliver. Goes, almost without saying, that the return was more than a delight. With the wind at my back I was literally swooping down the hills I had recently struggled so hard to climb. As well, I wasn't experiencing as much chain slippage. I assumed this was probably a result of not having to exert as much force on the chain, now going downhill.
Must further admit, that the descent seemed steeper than the ascent so I was forcefully reminded that this entire section was going to be a true test of mettle!

Was soon back on OGCR and noticed that the sandwich board sign for Fairview Cellars was not on the driveway so winery probably wasn't open for tasting. Bit disappointed but I had other things on my mind. Stats for Old Golf Course Road:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/538831015#.U792qKdvZO0.email  

On way down, I remembered seeing a bike store in Oliver and had decided I'd take it there to let mechanic have a look. I didn't know where the bike stores were in Penticton and was a bit concerned that with upcoming GF they might be very busy. At any rate, once back at my car I loaded the bike aboard and drove, just a block or so, to park right in front of Double O Bikes & Sports.

Took bike inside and the very pleasant and helpful mechanic, Matt, took a look at the chain, after I had explained what had happened, and determined that there was a "kink" or slight bend in one of the links. He said he thought that he might be able to straighten it out but I told him that, under the circumstances, I would feel much more comfortable with a new chain. Upon further investigation he said that the chain probably should have been replaced anyway as it was showing signs of significant wear. 

I was right on 3:00 pm by this time and he said he needed to have a bite to eat, before changing chain, as he had been very busy and had not managed lunch. It was only a ten minute job and I wanted to eat the lunch I had brought along so was only to happy to wait for 20 minutes or so. While Matt went to a restaurant around the corner I enjoyed the last of Dom Pedro's potatoe salad, mixed with kernels of corn, shaved off cobs, overlefts from Tuesday's dinner. Dessert was a banana and a divine nectarine while I strolled a few blocks towards the centre of town.

Didn't take Matt long to replace chain and thanking him profusely, I put the bike back on the car rack and made for OK Falls. I wanted to stop at Meyer Family Vineyards as Peter had suggested the winery when I told him where I planned to ride that day. Since I had passed Meyer on my bike, on way down into OK Falls, I knew exactly where it was and was soon sipping Pinot Gris. Liked it more than the Pinot Blanc so bought three bottles. Liked the Pinot Noir but not my favourite varietal so stayed with the Gris.

Back to Pentiction, via McLean Creek, and made straight for Upper Bench Winery & Creamery in Naramata. Wantedto taste their Pinot Blanc but tin the end far preferred their Pinto Gris so settled for that. Merlot was tasty but not enough to make me buy. Bought two of their wonderful cheeses, King Cole and Okanagan Sun2, for when gang arrive, to have over course of weekend. 

On towards home and was listening to a local CBC afternoon show, on Penticton Farmers' Market and recent bid to allow wine-tasting and sales there. Just by chance, the wine-maker from Hillside, Kathy Malone, was interviewed by host as
I was driving past the winery! Chuckling at coincidence, I continued on to Marichel Vineyard. Pulled into parking lot a but a few minutes before 5:00 pm but tasting room was still open. View from the patio deck is simply stunning so I took a few snaps before going inside. Richard Roskell, owner adn winemaker, was there and we'd met last time we visited, with Lynne and Peter, Flamin' and Sarge. At the time, I had inadvertently, (Dear Reader!), closed the door on Cora Lee's fingers so I reminded Richard of the kerfuffle. He didn't remember the fact that he had very kindly brought a bag of ice for Coriandre's smarting digits but we chatted pleasantly about other things. (Very sad to learn, later that evening, that Elisabeth, his wife, is battling cancer.)

I had really liked his Viognier last time I tasted but was a tad disappointed this time. However, the 2011Syrah-Viognier was a gangbuster, fruit forward and a silky mouthful of pepper and spice! The sort of red I had been searching for ever since arriving, and a virtual steal at $19.90, relative to Okanagan prices for red wine. The 2009 Syrah was extraordinary as well but weighing in at $38 a bit pricey, relative to other red at half the price and its similar, although obviously not as complex, taste. Happy to take 4 bottle of the Sy-Vio. 

Just as I was finishing up another couple came to the door and asked if they could still taste. Richard waved them in and the woman sat down beside me while her companion immediately took out his business card and proceeded to tell Richard who he was. I learned from his sister-in-law, (His wife doesn't drink and was in the car outside. I saw her there when I left.) Gather he is an entrepreneur and owns a number of auto body repair franchises and seemingly moved into Brown's Socialhouse Group. Thought he might be interested to know that Cat's SocialHouse on GI is one of favourite watering holes for Clan Sutherland and that we knew Todd Gnissios, whose father owned the Vineyard on 4th and Vine before it became part of Brown's empire, but he would have none of it. No wonder his wife stayed in the car! Wish I had Harold Pinter's talent as he would have made a fascinating character in my soon to be released, London play, The Wine-tasting! Thanked Richard and took my haul back to car and made for home.

Stats for McLean Creek ride: 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/538831008#.U791_uQQ4bM.email

Stats for Old Gold Course Road:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/538831015#.U792qKdvZO0.email 
 

Hello Duhlink! Just a short note to say Life continues to be Grand. Had a wonderful dinner with The Narmatians at Heritage Inn tonight. Loads to tell. Travel safely. Love, Your Love Slave!

PS: If you can, please bring toothbrush timer, my alarm clock and loads of money! 


It's wine bottling week here at the old farmstead. I just returned from being away for a week - so please excuse my delay in responding to your Happy 4th wishes. I was actually away on the 4th as my two sisters and I had planned our annual sisters' getaway - this year in San Diego - July 4-9. Had a really nice time watching fireworks in Long Beach (on our way to San Diego) in an open field of oil derricks on top of a hill, with several fireworks shows in the background - quite an interesting perspective. Do you have fireworks on Canada Day as well? Thanks for the pix from your day on the lawn!

I know you're now in training for the Granfondo in the wine country...good luck with all of that and have a safe and successful ride. I'm sure that the follow up party on the weekend will be fun for one and all. What a busy summer you have planned, beginning with your trip to Winnipeg in early (?) August, followed shortly thereafter with a trip to Vancouver Island and then all of those plans for September! I don't know how you manage it all!

We are sorry that you won't be able to make it down for our August anniversary party, but will plan on seeing you later this year if you can arrange it. Dave and I will be here, not going anywhere in September and October and then also most of November and December. Just let us know as your plans develop.
Pat PS What an interesting depiction printed in the bicycle lane. Are bicycle riders in BC really allowed to drink and ride, eh?  


What a beautiful B&B in Naramata and the surrounding vineyards -  but I thought you were staying with friends? Since you hadn't yet arrived at the time of this message, these photos were taken last year, I presume? Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment