Sunday 6 July 2014

Whirlygig Arrivederci Blues: Sunday, July 6th

Often the accurate answer to a usage question begins, "It depends." And what it depends on most often is where you are, who you are, who your listeners or readers are, and what your purpose in speaking or writing is. -Kenneth G. Wilson, author and professor (1923-2003)

 

Hello Dom Jugos de Atacama, (and Cowgirl)!
Trust you are well. Welcome back from the Desert! Will be very curious to hear the  tales of your latest adventures. Thanks for the set of stunning pictures of your place and vineyards! Can hardly wait to sit on the deck, under the grape trellis and sip malt! To Hell with the Fondo! Is Lynne Stampeding all this coming week? Is she with Hazel?
 

So far I've only seen a few bits of the Tour from official site. I assume you have six million sports channels so I'm looking forward to watching it with you, sipping more, aforementioned malt, (What race?), picking up training tips from the pros! Speaking of which, I'm hoping to arrive tomorrow, if that is still fine with you. Anyway, that's the theory!

Please don't change any of your plans, should you have meetings or other social engagements, late that afternoon or evening, as I really don't know when I'll arrive. Certainly don't wait for me for dinner if I might be so presumptuous as to think that meals are included in reservation! 


The short of it is that I might well not even leave until Tuesday when same would apply, of course. Social calendar became a tad more complicated as we are now hosting a farewell party for Whirlygig who has bought a place on Galiano and is moving there on July 15th. What with his packing and the relocation of Kerry, his significant other, and Tia, her 11 year old daughter, to staff housing at UBC this past Friday, there has simply not been any other time that we could get together.

An otherwise "free" day for packing, cleaning bike and such is now filled with all sorts of other things, as I'm sure you can well imagine, what with your own seemingly non-stop, jet-set life. (You have obviously been working like an indentured slave, when home, as grounds/vineyards look wonderful!) Don't think it will be a terribly late evening as Whirlygig and Co. still have plenty to do and other couple, Sylvia and Ray, are not night hawks. Nevertheless, my departure will really hinge on how much I'm able to accomplish today, aside from preparations for dinner, etc. I will send another email, or call, probably this evening when I have a better sense of how things are going.

 
Look forward to seeing you both tomorrow, or Tuesday. (When will Lynne be back from Calgary?) If I'm away by 9:00 am with roughly five hours via Hope/Princeton and a couple of hours around Oliver/Fairview my ETA should be sometime between 6:00-6:30 pm, allowing for slippage, something I seem prone to of late, it would seem! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello San Diego Sue and Roast Potatoe Man! I'm going to have to start calling you Whirlygig II, David, with all this talk of helicopters! Or else get my brother-in-law, Gavin, a retired Major in the Canadian Forces who was a chopper pilot. Even met the Queen after he and his crew evacuated a sailor from the Royal Yacht Britannia, off coast of Nova Scotia. 

Individual in question was suffering from a ruptured appendix, I believe. Unfortunately, Gavin likes his malt and wine quite a bit so might not be worth asking him, in the long run! Cora Lee will see Patti, (sister he is married to), this week as she will be in Vancouver this week, along with Rachel, their eldest. She is a very high functioning Downs Syndrome young adult and will be competing in the Special Olympics Canada Summer Games here in town, July 8th to 12th. They won't be staying in The Annexe but with rest of contingent from Ontario, somewhere downtown. Unfortunately, I won't see either of them or be able to attend any events as I will be leaving for Naramata tomorrow, I hope!
 

Wild Coho on the bbq tonight, twice-baked cauliflower, zucchini with Parmesan topping, again baked in oven. Raymondo and Sylvia will contribute a salad, most of ingredients from Ray's terrific garden. Breyer's Ice Cream, (Thanks for re-introducing it to us!), with fresh raspberries.  Fondestos from your personal Librarian, Coriandre, out with Flamin', scoping light fixtures. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Wine with Friday's meal. Rasteau was my favourite!

Hi Big Al! Sorry we never managed to connect. No excuses but plenty of reasons! Have you been cycling? Will chat, over course of next week, while in training. Perhaps we can have a ride when back from Okanagan and before we leave for Winnipeg, July 22nd. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dear Melody! Could you please confirm the time for my Mother's graveside memeorial. I had asked for a time around noon, on August 1st. My wife and I will probably not be in Winnipeg until the 26th of July. If we do happen to be in the city in time to stop by on Friday, the 25th, we will do so, to pay for services as outlined earlier. If not then the following week. Thanks. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

The very best part of the Granfondo is that there will be medical personnel to scrape Poppa off the pavement if he does one of his famous blackouts on the outskirts of Oliver! 160 km!! Go Poppa!

Hello Patrizzio's Go Go Fan Club! How reassuring to know that I have such ardent, enthusiastic, loyal, supportive fans! I'll be autographing pictures, (Available online at: www:nigeria.scam.org for $50, B/W, $100, Colour. No AMEX please.), at the 69th Anniversary for all my devoted following. I hope my fame won't detract attendees from paying their respects to Rosie-the-Riveter and Coat-Hanger. Must away as I have to"primp" for the next photo opp! Cheers, Titanium Hip Man! 

Dear Patrick: Such beautiful people you associate with. Many thanks for the photo recalls. George


Hi Beautiful Person! Glad you enjoyed the snaps of the Glitterati! Cheers, Patrizzio! 
great to have you over.do not remember too much about any ivy. thankyou for listening. life is a journey,not the destination but the getting there; matt

Hi Fellow Traveler! The journey continues as I'm off to Naramata, tomorrow, as I think I mentioned. Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: If you don't remember extracting me from garden you were even more "relaxed" than I, Sir!

Hi Patrick, Tomorrow will be fine, hope you make it. Lynne gets home from Calgary this afternoon – within a few minutes in fact. She was with her friend Barbara Straghan from Victoria. Good luck with all your chores so you can get away in a timely fashion. I have an early (6:20 AM) tee time tomorrow, so will be all ready for your arrival late afternoon. Looking forward to a whisky with you. Peter

P, great evening! Thank you both for putting it together. I was very touched that you gathered that crew together. It was especially nice to see Ray and Sylvia.

And the malt was a very thoughtful and extravagant gift -- not to mention the elixir itself which I thought was superlative -- not that I would know. I also concluded that the appropriate place for that bottle is in the vaunted cupboard at the Islay Inn.

Have some great rides this week and keep me informed. I am feeling quite envious about your prospects. Fondo(s), W




 

No comments:

Post a Comment