Wednesday 9 July 2014

Pre-Training Summerland, By-The-Water, Blues: Day 2, Tuesday, July 9th!

Any life, no matter how long and complex it may be, is made up of a single moment -- the moment in which a man finds out, once and for all, who he is. -Jorge Luis Borges, writer (1899-1986)


Hi Prince Valiant! Where is the 'hood? Peter asked where you were working this summer and I must admit I could not remember! Off to ride the Summerland section of route shortly. Fairly easy leg of overall course as there is really only one hill once one climbs from Lakeshore Drive on Peach Orchard Drive, I believe, up from water to Hwy 97 on on loop back towards Penticton. Have never ridden this particular, short part before so want to scope it out. Rest is really along lake except for climb back up to Naramata.  Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Nadienka Wyss Last exams on the very last day 


  • Patrick James Dunn Bravo! Onward!! Fight!!! Time to celebrate!!! Single malt overlooking Lake Okanagan!
  • Sonja Ruevekamp Patrick I'm in peachland and have the same view
  • Patrick James Dunn Same bottle of malt as well?
      
  • Sonja Ruevekamp Nope lol. I'm staying sober tonight. Chilling at the lake in peachland and driving up the hill soon
    Up at just after 6:00 am to have breakfast with Dom Jugos: a toasted bagel, slathered with peanut butter and honey and a wonderful cup of java from his Saeco expresso maker. At the push of a button it grinds the beans and then produces such divine brew that one thinks one is in Italy! The Golf Maniac left just before 7:00 am but I didn't hit the road until just after 8:00 am. I had decided I wanted to reconnoitre the climb from Lakeshore Drive, in Summerland, up Peach Orchard Rd to Hwy 97. 
    [Nadienka Wyss— with Anna-Marlène Ould Ahmed

    • Patrick James Dunn Greetings from The Okanagan, Naramata in particular, Pretty Women! Here training, (mostly wine-tasting), for the Granfondo, (160 km), this coming Sunday. Cheers, Cruel Host Father!]
    However, before so doing I wanted to scope out the climb, (start of Granfondo, once riders leave downtown Penticton), by climbing up Vancouver Ave.  This being the case I enjoyed the ride along Naramata Rd. Still lovely and cool at this time of the morning. Half an hour later, with  10 km on the clock I was soon passing Poplar Grove Winery and shortly thereafter, (only logging about 45 km/hr as I wanted to scope steepness), I was semi-hurtling down Vancouver Ave to circle the roundabout on Front St and make my way back up the hill. 
    Must say that I was very pleased to find that the ascent was not nearly as arduous or punishing as I had imagined it would be. Still a good climb but not one that would undo me form the get go. Turned around on Middle Bench Rd and retraced earlier route, following Lakeshore Dr, passing the SS Sicamous Paddle Wheeler at the far west side of the beach before turning onto Riverside Dr which took me to Eckhardt  Ave. Once across the bridge over the channel there I was on Hwy 97 and making for Summerland, against the prevailing wind
Still, traffic wasn't too, too bad and paved should is quite wide in most places. Bit like riding on the Island Hwy between Lantzville and Nanoose Bay! I'd done this stretch last April so I knew what to expect. 14 km later I took the Lakeshore Dr S exit and followed it past the Summerland Waterfront resort where we'd stayed, three years ago to watch friend, Ted Benson, compete. (He is in event this year as well.) Continuing to be so close to the lake and not have traffic whizzing by me, I soon came to junction of Peach Orchard and began the climb. 
  • Rhoda Maccormick[Rhoda Maccormick

    Nice picture! Not sure of details as I said in my email looking for sept, cheap, anywhere in Van from commercial, main up to alma. Not sure how long but at least 6 mthus yo a year I think]

Knew I'd have my work cut out for me, having driven up the fairly steep, long hill that one ascends, on the highway, into Summerland. Stil, wa snot quite prepared for the unrelieved stretch of tarmac which seem to go on forever. Was very much reminded of perhaps the longest hill I encountered on my stay in Neffiés, one which clambered into the hills surrounding a reservoir near the village. Peach Orchard may well not have been quite as long but it was certainly steeper in places. Nonetheless, I girded my loins and kept chugging away to be finally rewarded, at the top. Here an underpass goes below Hwy 97 so I followed Peach orchard to a roundabout and then made my way back to 97 following Jubilee Rd E. Once back on the highway it was jet plane time as I hurtled, literally hurtled all the way back down to the lake.

Rest of ride was much easier as wind was now behind me and road is almost completely level. Bit of a dipsy-doodle once back on Eckhardt to avois stop light and then I was on Riverside, heading for Front St and the roundabout which would lead me back up Vancouver. Decided I'd do this particular climb again, having survived Peach Orchard, to see how my legs stood up. Didn't really have any difficulty so I opted for a loop around Upper Bench Rd and then back towards Poplar Grove again, on Middle Bench Rd befoer making for Naramata Rd an home. (Glad I did as looking at GF maps this evening, I realized that my loop was actually part of event route.)

Wind was against me now but since I had achieved what I had set out to do, I wasn't overly fussed and even rode past gate of # 3755 so that I'd add enough distance to clock 75+km by the time I was ready to touch The Burning Ground!

Stats for today's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/537999840#.U72Nen5l24s.email

This occurred about 11:20 am and I was only one home when I walked in the door. Not sure where Lynne was as I'd not seen here before I left house that morning but knew Pedro was having lunch with his golf cronies after playing. Had a relaxing shower and once changed I refilled my camel pack and water bottle then had a bite of lunch. In fact, I finished off the two turkey pepperoni sausgaes and few pieces of cheese I'd left over fom my Monday's bagged lunch, as well as a mouth watering nectarine, one of half dozen I'd found at Save-On-Foods day before. made myself another delish java and then set about trying to record the full days since leaving Vancouver! 

Worked away at my laptop until just after 1:00 pm when Lynne returned. We chatted for a few minutes and then had things to attend to so I continued scribing until the Fairway Kid returned. He made himself a cup of java and we repaired to den to watch the Netherlands vs Argentina. enjoyed the nail biter. Was a tad disappointed that match went to a shoot-out and that Netherlands lost in the end. However, was always torn as I like the Argentinians as well. Anyway, think it will be a more exciting final with Europe pitted against South America. Exhausted by viewing, Mr Caddyshack had a nap before readying himself for duplicate bridge this evening. At last minute, co-ordinator called to ask if I was interested in coming along. Peter had originally asked if Brigitta could find me a partner but she was unable to do so. Apparently there was a last minute cancellation and someone needed a partner. Since I wanted to try and catch up on my blog entries I decided not to go. As well, I really wanted a quiet evening, more than anything else. In fact, I'm rather fond on my monk's cell, listening to jazz and sending out lies to the ether!

Dom Jugos will be home shortly after 10:00 am and since he picked Argentina to win he won the bet: he gets to choose malt we will have once he is back from bridge in Penticton. All from his cabinet so how can I lose?

My plan is to drive to OK Falls tomorrow morning and park there. Will ride back to McLean Creek Rd and follow it back into OK Falls. I've only cycled this route once before so wish to refresh my muscle memory. Depending on how I feel, I might do the OGCR climb, parking near Fairview Cellars this time, with an idea to do some tasting there once I've discharged my training responsibilities. Must away a as I hear Dom Jugos putting his truck away in the garage. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! 



Hi Wonder Woman!

Thanks for thanks! Great to have you both, if only for your fabulous dessert! David seems to have had a great time and has said he already misses Vancouver. Thinks he'll make trip an annual one so pleased they both enjoyed visit.

In fact, I left on Monday. We hosted a farewell party for Whirlygig on Sunday evening. Only time we could squeeze in with his move and my coming to Naramata. Left about 11:00 am and drove straight to Clos du Soleil and then Orofino, out of Cawston, as I wanted to scope toughest, arguably, part of ride, which involves the climb out of Oliver up Fairrview Mountain on White Lake Road, coming out on Hwy 97 just south of Kaladen. From there it is about 20 km back to Penticton, with only one long, gradual hill to climb before whoooooooooshing down into Penticton for finish! At least that is the theory!

I thought that I could cut cross-country, once I left Keremeos, as I didn't want to go there via Osoyoos. However, I didn't take White Lake Road, off 3A, as it appeared not to be paved, contrary to what lady in Keremeos Info Centre had said. I later learned that I could have taken Twin Lakes Road to connect to spot I was aiming for but as things turned out route I took was probably for the best anyway. I ended going on 3A to Hwy 97 and from there I knew exactly where I was. On my way towards Oliver, now on White Lake Rd, going south, I came across two huge, brown plumes of smoke, a raging fire in the grasslands near the Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory, I learned later. In fact, if I had taken Twin Lakes Road I wouldn't have been able to get through as it was closed, emergency vehicles, etc. At any rate I proceeded all the way into Oliver, noting the terrain, as best I could. Even found a place to park, at the bottom of Fairview Road, as I planned to ride this section the next day.

Originally, I had hoped to ride the relatively short, but quite steep section, near Fairview Cellars, (fab wine!), up Old Golf Course Road to where it intersects with Fairview Road and then Willowbrook Rd which takes one north to eventually connect with White Lake Rd and then home! However, time was running out as I'd told Peter I'd be at their place by 7:00 pm, at latest. Delayed departure from Vancouver, two stops for absolutely necessary wine tasting and "lost" time getting to Oliver meant that this was probably not going to happen. Nevertheless, was still very pleased at taking a closer look at the terrain in question as I knew it would better prepare me for next day's ride.

Left Oliver around 6:00 pm and drove over route I was planning to ride, to take another, even closer look at hills and flatter sections. Pleased to note that an extremely rough section, fairly steep descent back onto Hwy 97, had been completely resurfaced since I was last over this section, about three years ago. Once back on Hwy 97 it was an easy drives into Penticton and then I was soon making my way along Naramata Rd to enter the gate code, (meant to keep out the voracious deer!), at #3755 to descend driveway between the vines planted on either side. Fond greetings all around and then Peter helped me unload my car. Once that was done I took a quick shower, changed and came downstairs for a glass of wine before dinner: sausages on the bbq with fresh beets and their greens and spuds from Peter's wonderful garden. A tasty Pinot from Blue Grouse, on VI, and life was pretty damn good! Fresh raspberries, again from Garden of Petros, with vanilla ice-cream for dessert, topped with the Diplomatico, Reserva Exclusivo Rum, Venezuela, that I'd brought for Dom Pedro. Lynne even shared the chocolados I'd brought for her, from ChocolaTas on GI. A few snorts of single malt, for the lads, and we then all drifted to our appointed beds! Rough training regimen so I'm not sure if I'll be able to maintain such pace throughout the coming week!

Up reasonably early next morning. Wonderful sleep as it is so pleasantly cool during the night that one can leave all the screened windows wide open. Java, yogurt topped with more raspberries and three pieces of toast and I was away to Oliver, Jugos Dom Atacama, (Peter was just back from Chile, mine consultant that he is!), to one of his weekly golf games. Drove out of Penticton on Hwy 97 to OK Falls and thence to Oliver, parking in my chosen spot just before 9:00 am. By the time I'd unloaded my Trek and changed into my cycling shoes I decided I'd use the washroom at the gas station around the corner. Once my bladder was on empty I headed up Fairview Road at about 9:10 am. Made for Sumac St, taking a left off FR as this would take me to bottom of Old Golf Course Rd and the ascent of Everest had begun!

A very good huff and puff all the way up. Nothing that isn't manageable with a bit of fortitude and slow grinding BUT wonder how my legs and lungs will respond with about 115 km under my belt by this time on Sunday. First technical error as I crested back onto Fairview Road. Shifting too quickly my chain came off and I was forced to touch the Dreaded Burning Ground just after I made the turn onto Willowbrook Rd. Cursing my inattentiveness, I didn't have much trouble realigning the chain and was soon making my way north. Must say that although there were two decent hills waiting for me, they certainly were not nearly as challenging as the unrelieved climb on OGCR. Heartened by my progress I even caught up to three riders I had noticed, ahead of me, when I was forced to stop on account of my chain. All of the chaps were from the Lower Mainland and have spent many holidays in Oliver at the Lakeside resort on Tuc-el-Nuit Lake. While they had not entered the Granfondo they were more than regular cyclists and knew area pretty well. We chatted amicably for about 5 km and then eldest, (72), rider's chain came off so I waved goodbye, wanting to distance myself from any possible Burning Ground contagion!

Really enjoyed the rest of the ride, in spite of Technical Error #2: Crossing the first cattle guard I encountered, to date, my water bottle was jostled out of its holder as crossing the spaced bars almost rattles one's fillings! Had to stop to collect it but since I'd already felt the DBG I chalked this incident up as a valuable learning/training experience and continued, relatively undaunted. Next encounter was with a re-surfacing crew, putting down and steamrolling patches on some of the potholes and smaller rough/broken pavement sections. Waved through as traffic was sparse and flagwoman at far end told me that work was for the coming race. Nice to see and know, of course.

One long, exposed, slightly uphill stretch, (sun was beginning to make itself felt when I left trees behind), near yesterday's grass fire, (contained and out by now), but after that was behind me the route takes one back through the pine forest near St Andrews By The Lake, (Prather), and climb is just about over. After that a controlled swoop down to the intersection of WLR and the Okanagan Hwy, encountering another pesky cattle guard just before the short climb up to Hwy 97 itself. Negotiated this one without incident but having to slow down I lost all the inertia which would have helped me rocket up incline. Felt the push in my legs but soon forgot this as I clocked 60 km/hr descending hill into OK Falls. Had never ridden 97 out of OK Falls so decided to take a look as opposed to following Oliver Ranch Rd since I didn't want to have to cross the busy highway once ORR met 97.

Fairly easy going from here all the way to Oliver but Technical Mistake #3: Didn't take Tuc-el-Nuit Rd about 5 km north of Oliver. Instead proceeded into town and dipsy doodled my way around to finally end up on Black Sage Rd. Bit of climb, up a small, fairly steep hill, just before Quinta Ferreira Estate Winery, (like many of their reds!), but after that it is pretty much downhill for most of the way, other than one very manageable, long ascent before one reaches Road 22. Here you cross the valley and begin the slow, steady, slightly uphill battle towards Oliver, not helped by the fairly strong headwind. Still I plugged away, noting all the wineries we've visited over the years, counting down the Road number, (21, 20, etc.), as I endured the heat. One good thing about wind was that it actually cooled me down, somewhat, as my perspiration soaked bamboo top wicked the water away and I benefited from the evaporation process.  

Pleased to see the sign announcing Oliver and I made the intersection where I was parked nearbye with 85 km on the clock so decided I'd look for Tuc-el-Nuit Rd to scope it out. I thought I had a pretty good idea where it had to be, relative to start of BSR and turned out to be just where I expected. Wind was right in my face as I followed it north out of this part of outskirts of Oliver and with the bit of uphill incline I could feel my legs rebelling! Fortunately, I reached a turnaround spot, not far from Jackson Triggs. Not wanting to taste there I made my way back to Oliver. Going was much easier with the wind pushing me along now and slight downhill grade was even more welcome. However, with about 95 km on the odometre, both my thighs started to show symptoms of wanting to cramp up! Technical Error #4: Although I was wearing my camel pack I'd also taken my water bottle just to have as much liquid as possible available. I usually exhaust bottle first as pack keeps my secret concoction cooler longer. However, when I first tried to drink from the pack, earlier in ride, just to see what latest vintage tasted like, I couldn't manage to get but a drop from drinking tube. Try as I might, nothing  passed my lips. At this point I wasn't overly thirsty and most of remaining ride was downhill so I thought I'd be okay, based on past rides of this distance. I even imagined that the electrolyte crystals had somehow clogged the valve from he bladder to the drinking tube or that the tube itself was kinked. (Of course I couldn't stop to investigate further, Dear Reader!) I would give the pack a punch or two, every so often, to try and shake things up. Nothing worked! Again, I thought I'd be fine but I suppose the heat combined with the exertion of the ride finally took their toll on my leg muscles and I made it to my car but very gingerly, standing up whenever I could, not pedaling at all when terrain allowed. Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/537619248#.U7ysWOM73xs.email

Finally back at the car, I had to remove my cycling shoes very, very carefully as I was afraid any sudden movement might cause a cramp. Loaded my bike onto the rack and then turned my attention to camel pack. I had simply forgotten that I needed to turn the nozzle in a clockwise fashion in order to allow the liquid to flow into the tube and then into my parched mouth! This is a fairly new pack and one I used in France needed a pull of the nozzle, much like any sports water bottle, so my poor brain was already suffering from a chemical imbalance. Drank greedily on way to Okanagan Falls as I wanted to stop at a couple of wineries before making my way back to Naramata. About half way to OK Falls, the unthinkable happened and my right thigh started to cramp. Fortunately highway had a large grassy shoulder at this point so I was able to pull off. getting out of the car was a different matter as every time I tried to bend my leg to get out of vehicle cramp worsened and very painfully so. Finally plucked up the courage to almost hurl myself out the door, in bare feet, dancing on the hot tarmac as both inner thighs were telling me, in spades, what  a fool I'd been!

Whimpering at the unrelieved I managed to raise my right leg onto the bike hitch and this provided a modicum of relief but then the left leg would cramp. And so it went. At one point the thought of throwing myself under an oncoming semi even passed through my tortured mind! Fortunately, I was able to limp to the grassy verge and walking about cramping dissipated. I knew getting back into driver's seat was fraught with difficulty and even if I made it into vehicle I still had a long way to go with the horrible possibility of another renewed attack hanging dangerously over my head. Kept drinking once cramping stopped and once I felt a little more confident that worst was over I climbed back into car and hurried towards OK Falls.

Took Oliver Ranch Road and was soon in parking lot at Stag's Hollow. First thing I did was have a couple of glasses of water and then started tasting. Needed the alcohol to calm my shattered nerves, Dear Reader!
Have always enjoyed their expression of Sauvignon Blanc and was duly impressed this time as well. Wanted to try the Semillon but wasn't for tasting so had to be content with the Riesling. Was very taken with the Cabernet Franc so bought a bottle, (bit pricey at $28), but I wanted a red for dinner as I'd been quaffing ones from my host's cellar. Two young couples from Saskatoon so we shared latest flood stories from Prairies before I made my way to Wild Goose, just up the road. My legs seemed to have settled down so was pleased about that.

Have always liked many of the Rieslings here so came away with six, three of the Classic and three of the Stoney Slope, plus three of the Mystic River Pinot Gris as well. Felt better and better with each taste so knew I was on the mend, so to speak. Stowed my haul and made for OK Falls Esso to fill up before zipping back to Penticton to stop at Save-On-Foods for a few dinner fixings: pre-marinated Teriyaki sirloin steaks, fresh corn-on-the cob adn Breyer's Praline Ice-cream! Wasn't back home until close to 5:00 pm so had a quick shower and then Petros and I sipped a local IPA and watched the Germans shooting Brazilian fish in a barrel. After unprecedented soccer rout we started dinner preparations. Mpre correctly, I watched as Jugos bbq'd steaks and Lynne boiled corn. Dom Atacama had put together an incredible potatoe salad shortly after I arrived and we sat down to the scrumptious meal once steaks and corn were ready. Lovely, lovely meal adn must say that the Cab Franc was delicious, loads of chocolate with a lingering, pleasantly tannic finish. Everyone was so full that we decided to wait on dessert, although Peter and I had enough room for a couple of drams of Tullibardine Sovereign, a delicious Highland malt, 43%, which we sipped while we chatted on the patio. The evening was magical, just the right amount of coolness after the heat of the day, ranging somewhere between 24º C and 30ºC. Jugos seemed to have more room in his tummy, after the first snort of malt, so he helped himself to a large bowl of ice-cream and fruit while Lynne and I contented ourselves with watching him devour the tasty dessert.

Had been a long day for everyone so we repaired to bed, allof us to read, apparently, by 10:00 am. Onc e I'd brushed and flossed I sen a few short messages and then laid down rather carefully as my right leg had cramped up when I got up from the patio couch when we were set to go inside for the night. Fortunately, not too, too painful and knot in my thigh didn't last once I was able to raise and stretch limb. Still, I was on tenterhooks until I turned out the light and drifted off, dreaming of the troublesome cattle guards I'd encountered and wondering if they would have a covering of some sort on the day of the event.

Up at just after 6:00 am to have breakfast with Dom Jugos: a toasted bagel, slathered with peanut butter and honey and a wonderful cup of java from his Saeco expresso maker. At the push of a button it grinds the beans and then produces such divine brew that one thinks one is in Italy! The Golf Maniac left just before 7:00 am but I didn't hit the road until just after 8:00 am. I had decided I wanted to reconnoitre the climb from Lakeshore Drive, in Summerland, up Peach Orchard Rd to Hwy 97. However, before so doing I wanted to scope out the climb, (start of Granfondo, once riders leave downtown Penticton), by climbing up Vancouver Ave.  This being the case I enjoyed the ride along Naramata Rd. Still lovely and cool at this time of the morning. Half an hour later, with  10 km on the clock I was soon passing Poplar Grove Winery and shortly thereafter, (only logging about 45 km/hr as I wanted to scope steepness), I was semi-hurtling down Vancouver Ave to circle the roundabout on Front St and make my way back up the hill. Must say that I was very pleased to find that the ascent was not nearly as arduous or punishing as I had imagined it would be. Still a good climb but not one that would undo me form the get go. Turned around on Middle Bench Rd and retraced earlier route, following Lakeshore Dr, passing the SS Sicamous Paddle Wheeler at the far west side of the beach before turning onto Riverside Dr which took me to Eckhardt  Ave. Once across the bridge over the channel there I was on Hwy 97 and making for Summerland, against the prevailing wind

Still, traffic wasn't too, too bad and paved should is quite wide in most places. Bit like riding on the Island Hwy between Lantzville and Nanoose Bay! I'd done this stretch last April so I knew what to expect. 14 km later I took the Lakeshore Dr S exit and followed it past the Summerland Waterfront resort where we'd stayed, three years ago to watch friend, Ted Benson, compete. (He is in event this year as well.) Continuing to be so close to the lake and not have traffic whizzing by me, I soon came to junction of Peach Orchard and began the climb. Knew I'd have my work cut out for me, having driven up the fairly steep, long hill that one ascends, on the highway, into Summerland. Stil, wa snot quite prepared for the unrelieved stretch of tarmac which seem to go on forever. Was very much reminded of perhaps the longest hill I encountered on my stay in Neffiés, one which clambered into the hills surrounding a reservoir near the village. Peach Orchard may well not have been quite as long but it was certainly steeper in places. Nonetheless, I girded my loins and kept chugging away to be finally rewarded, at the top. Here an underpass goes below Hwy 97 so I followed Peach orchard to a roundabout and then made my way back to 97 following Jubilee Rd E. Once back on the highway it was jet plane time as I hurtled, literally hurtled all the way back down to the lake.

Rest of ride was much easier as wind was now behind me and road is almost completely level. Bit of a dipsy-doodle once back on Eckhardt to avoid stop light and then I was on Riverside, heading for Front St and the roundabout which would lead me back up Vancouver. Decided I'd do this particular climb again, having survived Peach Orchard, to see how my legs stood up. Didn't really have any difficulty so I opted for a loop around Upper Bench Rd and then back towards Poplar Grove again, on Middle Bench Rd befoer making for Naramata Rd an home. (Glad I did as looking at GF maps this evening, I realized that my loop was actually part of event route.)

Wind was against me now but since I had achieved what I had set out to do, I wasn't overly fussed and even rode past gate of # 3755 so that I'd add enough distance to clock 75+km by the time I was ready to touch The Burning Ground! Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/537999840#.U72Nen5l24s.email

This occurred about 11:20 am and I was only one home when I walked in the door. Not sure where Lynne was as I'd not seen here before I left house that morning but knew Pedro was having lunch with his golf cronies after playing. Had a relaxing shower and once changed I refilled my camel pack and water bottle then had a bite of lunch. In fact, I finished off the two turkey pepperoni sausgaes and few pieces of cheese I'd left over fom my Monday's bagged lunch, as well as a mouth watering nectarine, one of half dozen I'd found at Save-On-Foods day before. made myself another delish java and then set about trying to record the full days since leaving Vancouver!

Worked away at my laptop until just after 1:00 pm when Lynne returned. We chatted for a few minutes and then had things to attend to so I continued scribing until the Fairway Kid returned. He made himself a cup of java and we repaired to den to watch the Netherlands vs Argentina. enjoyed the nail biter. Was a tad disappointed that match went to a shoot-out and that Netherlands lost in the end. However, was always torn as I like the Argentinians as well. Anyway, think it will be a more exciting final with Europe pitted against South America. Exhausted by viewing, Mr Caddyshack had a nap before readying himself for duplicate bridge this evening. At last minute, co-ordinator called to ask if I was interested in coming along. Peter had originally asked if Brigitta could find me a partner but she was unable to do so. Apparently there was a last minute cancellation and someone needed a partner. Since I wanted to try and catch up on my blog entries I decided not to go. As well, I really wanted a quiet evening, more than anything else. In fact, I'm rather fond on my monk's cell, listening to jazz and sending out lies to the ether!

Dom Jugos will be home shortly after 10:00 am and since he picked Argentina to win he won the bet: he gets to choose malt we will have once he is back from bridge in Penticton. All from his cabinet so how can I lose?

My plan is to drive to OK Falls tomorrow morning and park there. Will ride back to McLean Creek Rd and follow it back into OK Falls. I've only cycled this route once before so wish to refresh my muscle memory. Depending on how I feel, I might do the OGCR climb, parking near Fairview Cellars this time, with an idea to do some tasting there once I've discharged my training responsibilities. Must away a as I hear Dom Jugos putting his truck away in the garage. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Pics: Fist two wineries. Fire off White Lake Road Monday afternoon, as I was scoping route, water bombers and all! Drinks on patio before dinner that evening. Evening sky. Lovely and cool for sleeping. Front garden yesterday evening around 7:00 pm. Part of Peter's garden. From garden towards garage. Peter's potatoe salad last night, made with freshly dug spuds from his garden! Maltage on the deck after dinner. Bottle was from Prince Valiant and was fabuloso!!!
 

Stats for today's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/537999840#.U72Nen5l24s.email

Pat, Your surroundings there look very nice indeed. Just reading the Granfondo 2014 web site. Lots of good ideas there for training, eating, and water intake which will be essential if the weather forecast of 38 degrees for Sunday is accurate. Heading out for a reasonable early ride as it's quite warm here also.
Ray 


Hi Pat and Corinne, I kept meaning to send a Thank You card for the lovely and fun Wine Makers BBQ a few weeks ago but I am bad with cards, apparently, so here is a Thank You Email - thanks so much for including us in that very fun evening. It was great to meet your friends, and to see Alastair again.

Are you leaving for the Okanagan today, or soon? Bring lots of water bottles - I hear that it is hot, hot, hot there. All the best to you on your ride, Pat. Thanks, friends. Sara.


Hey Pat, Thanks for the lovely update about your Paradise. I wish I was in the Okanagan sipping wine and riding my bike. I accidentally deleted your message when I was only part way through! Could you please send it again?
 

I did read about the legs cramps - I'm glad you didn't suffer any bike or car crashes as a result! And watch out for cattle guards. Ride Safely. Sara

Pat, The practice you're doing should be very valuable for the 13th. Knowing the terrain and how to negotiate the cattle guards will certainly be helpful. Interesting that the lack of water and possibly electrolytes might have caused the cramping. I'm sure there will be lots of replacement drinks along the way on Sunday. I'm familiar with some of the route especially Vancouver Avenue. Evidently the first part of the route is reasonably flat and the harder climbs come later. Great weather here also. Ray 

good luck with the ride patrick.from relaxed matt

How just read over your long training email. Had a great night at arts club seeing Red Rock Diner with Patty, Chloe and Robyn. Wayne and Michele were coming and had dinner with us, but she had book tickets by mistake for the matinee rather than evening. Had a good visit with Pat.
 

Sam Rothstein obt in the Sun today. Funeral is on Friday. Too bad we should have gone. He was 93.
 

Off to get sausages for tomorrow's supper. Not sure on details of departure as is hard to pin Sutherland's down. We see them later.Take care of those cramps do not sound very pleasant. See you tomorrow, Love CoraLee

It is with sadness that we let you know that Dr. Sam Rothstein passed away on Tuesday of this week. The funeral and burial will be at the Beth Israel Cemetery on 1721 Willingdon Avenue, opposite the Brentwood shopping centre, in Burnaby, this Friday, July 11 at 2 pm. Following the funeral, there will be another gathering (shiva) at the Louis Brier Jewish Home and Hospital at 1055 West 41st Ave (41st ave and Oak), but we do not know the time for this.

Below is the biography that Dr. Rothstein - Sam -  wrote for his fonds at the UBC library ... but we have to add what a lovely human being Sam was - charming, generous, and innovative. In honour of Dr. Rothstein, in 1989, the School established an entering scholarship for those with promise of success in librarianship, and for the 50th anniversary of SLAIS in 2011, the School established the Sam Rothstein award for a graduating student who exhibits the innovative spirit that Sam had when opening the School in 1961.

He will be missed. Caroline Haythornthwaite on behalf of all at SLAIS


Sam Rothstein was born on January 12, 1921, in Moscow, Russia and came to Canada in 1922. He earned a BA in French and English from UBC in 1939, an MA in French and English from UBC in 1940, a BLS in 1947 from the University of California and a PhD. in Librarianship from the University of Illinois in 1954, becoming the first Canadian to hold a Ph.D. in Librarianship. He started as a reference librarian at the UBC Library in 1947. He was subsequently promoted to Head of Acquisitions (1948); Assistant and Associate University Librarian (1954); Acting University Librarian and Founding Director of the School of Librarianship (1961); Director and Professor of Librarianship (1970-1986) and Professor Emeritus in 1986. He served in many professional associations and learned societies: as president of the American Association of Library Schools (AALS), the British Columbia Library Association (BCLA), the Pacific Northwest Library Association (PNLA), and the Canadian Association of Library Schools (CALS); as officer of the American Library Association (ALA), the Canadian Library Association (CLA), the Bibliographical Society of Canada and the Canadian Council of Library Schools (CCLS). He also was a consultant for the Science Secretariat of Canada (1969); a Visiting Scholar at the University of Hawaii (1969); a Visiting Professor at the University of Toronto (1970) and at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (1973); a consultant for various libraries (1970-1977); the Librarian-in-Residence at the University of Toronto (1979); and a Research Fellow at the University of Toronto Centre for Research in Librarianship (1981-1982). He is also listed in biographical dictionaries and encyclopedias such as the Canadian Who's Who, Who's Who in America, ALA Yearbook of Library and Information Services, and Who's Who in the World. His monographic publications include The Development of Reference Services (1955); Training Professional Librarians for Western Canada (1957); co-author of As We Remember It (1970); The University -- The Library (1972) and Rothstein on Reference (1989). He wrote for several encyclopedias, contributed many articles and reviews to professional journals, gave lectures and talks and served on editorial boards of several encyclopedias and journals. His awards include the ALA's Beta Phi Mu Award for distinguished service to education for librarianship (1988), the Carnegie Corporation Fellowship (1951-1954); the BCLA's Helen Gordon Stewart Award (1970); an honorary D. Litt. degree from York University of Toronto (1971); the CLA's Outstanding Service to Librarianship Award (1986); and the ALISE Award for Outstanding Professional Contributions to Library and Information Science Education (1988). Outside of the academe, Rothstein's record of public service includes his involvement as Councilor of the BC Medical Library Service, President of the Vancouver Public Library Trust (1987-1988), Board member and President of the Vancouver Jewish Community Centre (1962-1972); Board member of the Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver (1993-1999) and Divisional Chairman of the Vancouver Combined Jewish Appeal (1992-1995). Sam Rothstein retired from UBC at the end of 1986 after a 50-year association with the UBC as student, teacher, librarian, researcher and administrator.

The funeral will be held on Friday, July 11th at 2:00PM , Beth Israel Cemetery
 1721 Willingdon Avenue, Burnaby. A meal of condolence will follow at the Weinberg Residence 5650 Osler Street

Shiva details will be announced at the funeral. Cards can  also be sent out to the family by calling Congregation Beth Israel at 604/731-4161, emailing info@bethisrael.ca or through their website www.bethisrael.ca

Directions to Beth Israel Cemetery - 1721 Willingdon Avenue Take Broadway East across Boundary Road Broadway becomes Lougheed Highway (crossing into Burnaby) Turn left at Willingdon Avenue The cemetery is on the left


BI CEMETERY PARKING NOTICE The small parking area at our cemetery allows parking spaces only for clergy and immediate family members during funerals. Please use street parking. If you choose to park at Brentwood Mall, it will be at your own risk as they may ticket or tow your vehicle. Your understanding is very much appreciated.

Hi all.  More on Sam Rothstein.  The obituary is in today's Vancouver Sun.
 

Hello Nadine I expect that many emeriti knew Dr. Rothstein. I have very fond memories of him as a teacher and mentor. Perhaps Brenda has already sent the emeriti a copy of her email, but if not, could you do so? Thanks Ingrid 

Dear All, I'm sad to report that Professor and Librarian Emeritus Sam Rothstein passed away yesterday at the age of 93. He will be best remembered as the founder of SLAIS and a great teacher to many librarians. His career at UBC dates back to 1947 when he started working in the library as a reference librarian. The following biographical sketch is from the University Archives.

Sam Rothstein was born on January 12, 1921, in Shenyahova, a village near Bobrysk, Belarus (part of Russia at the time). He came to Canada in 1922. He earned a BA in French and English from UBC in 1939, an MA in French and English from UBC in 1940, a BLS in 1947 from the University of California and a PhD. in Librarianship from the University of Illinois in 1954, becoming the first Canadian to hold a Ph.D. in Librarianship. He started as a reference librarian at the UBC Library in 1947. He was subsequently promoted to Head of Acquisitions (1948); Assistant and Associate University Librarian (1954); Acting University Librarian and Founding Director of the School of Librarianship (1961); Director and Professor of Librarianship (1970-1986) andProfessor Emeritus in 1986.

The funeral and burial will be at the Beth Israel Cemetery on 1721 Willingdon Ave., opposite the Brentwood shopping centre, in Burnaby – Friday at 2 pm

Then, following the funeral, there will be another gathering (the shiva) at the Louis Brier Jewish Home and Hospital at 1055 West 41st Ave – at 41st Ave and Oak. Best, Brenda
 

To let you know – if you could share with other emeriti? judi
Flag Lowering Notification - Sam Rothstein

The BC Flag (Main Mall and Agronomy Road) will be lowered on Friday, July 11, in memory of Professor Emeritus Samuel Rothstein, who passed away on Tuesday, July 8.

Sam Rothstein retired in 1986, after a 50-year association with UBC as a student, teacher, librarian, researcher and administrator. The first Canadian to earn a Ph.D. in Librarianship, he helped found UBC’s library school, and served as its Director from 1961 to 1970. UBC conferred him with an Honorary Doctor of Laws in 2004, for his contributions to UBC’s academic resources and to British Columbia.

The funeral will be held on Friday, July 11, 2014, at 2 p.m., Beth Israel Cemetery,1721 Willingdon Ave., Burnaby.

Dear All: Sam Rothstein also made it possible my first wife, Judith, to attend 'Library School'. Judy, as many of you will recall, was totally blind soon after birth. She became a Librarian and Acting Head of the Crane Library and Resource Centre, an Adjunct Professor in the Education Department and a Founding Member of the IFLA Committee of Library Services for the Blind and PRint-disabled readers. We both enjoyed being invited to the Rothstein home for dinners and parties. All this because Sam argued that lack of sight should not be a reason to succeed in a field. which at that time, was largely print and sight-based.
 

Sincerest thanks to Sam Rothstein for being a visionary among other things.
Paul E. Thiele, Professor and Director Emeritus Crane Library and Resource Centre, UBC. 


To all who knew him: Sam Rothstein was a mentor to many of us and was generous with his support in helping to develop our careers. We will never forget him. Thank you, Sam. Margaret Friesen, Administrative Librarian Emeritus, UBC Library

 




 
 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment