Saturday 12 July 2014

Pre-Training, Vancouver Street Market Blues: Day 5, Saturday, July 12th!

I have one share in corporate Earth, and I am nervous about the management. -E.B. White, writer (1899-1985)  




Hi D, Got my cash, feel too rich for my blood!! Sent you $1500.00 just now, it won't let me send more, says it exceeds my limit. Will either try again later or Monday. You don't need it anyways being insane and riding 160 K in the heat!!!
L0ve you!!! xx


Eat your heart out Patrick!
Hi Raymond! [Sent this earlier but file size was too large!]

Greetings from Nanoose,

Just back from play offs in slo-pitch with another victory, so into the final of our division tomorrow!


Our average age is about 60 plus-average competition, about 30 or less!

They hate being beaten by the Undertakers, as we could be parents, or even grandparents!! We'll pick up the lamb from Armando's-one of our all time favourites! Will get enough for 6? Also bringing some reds to enjoy...Good luck tomorrow!!! See you Tuesday. Grogg


[Charlie Haden’s Emancipated American Music
The great bass player, dead at 76, began his career with Ornette Coleman’s rambunctious jazz quartets and then spent his life expanding our idea of American music.]
Hi Lurch and Grogg! Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply but have been busy with my pre-training here, since this past Tuesday, for tomorrow's Granfondo. Route is 160 km, so I'll have my work cut out for me with the combination of distance, climbs and heat! Supposed to be between 30º-35ºC in OK Falls/Oliver where I hope to find myself from 11:00 am through roughly 2:00 pm, all things going well. Have ridden almost 95% of route now so am probably as best prepared as I could hope to be, other than having done a longer period of more intense training. Must say I certainly enjoyed this past week, riding, wine-tasting and then socializing with Lynne and Peter, my ever-gracious, generous hosts.

Before going on, I've been asked by The Gang of Four to suggest that since we have already picked up a simply wonderful array of cheese from both Upper Bench and Poplar Grove, we were wondering if you might like to contribute one of Armando's butterfly lamb roasts for the bbq on Tuesday, or something else, of course, for that matter. Just let me know and we'll plan accordingly.

This morning around 9:00 am, I rode into Penticton, (just a "stretch" 20-30 km outing for me), with Flamin' and Sarge, to meet Lynne/Cora Lee there and wander Farmer's Market. Before we met them we continued to the Penticton Trade & Convention Centre to collect my registration package. They waited outside for the ten minutes or so it took me to register. Back to the quite large market, (about five blocks along Main St, plus a few side-wings!), to enjoy the plethora of fresh fruit and vegetables, plus all the related sorts of wares/booths one finds at typical Farmer's Markets. Throngs and throngs as I suppose Granfondo has brought all sorts of people to town. Apparently there are 3,000 riders in the event!

Left Lynne and Coriandre around noon and the three of us walked back to where F/S had locked their bikes to a parking metre. Flamin' "stole" my complimentary water bottle so I wanted to cycle back to Convention Centre to see if I could score another one. They saddled up and made for Naramata. Once back in registration area I told a sob story about how I had filled my water bottle and then left it on a vegetable stand to find it had disappeared when I returned. Chap at Info Desk said they had plenty so I was given another one without any fuss. After my "white" lie, I headed back to Naramata, up Vancouver St as this climb is the very first leg of the event. Feel pretty comfortable with it, by this point, so hope this bodes well for rest of course.

Sarge/Petros and Coramandel have just left to go wine-tasting to three or four wineries along The Bench, leaving Lynne and I to commiserate with each other! 


[Good looking woman...But who's that old guy she's with?]

Flamin' is meeting a friend in town. Lynne is actually doing a few things, (setting table, cleaning vegetables from Peter's wonderful garden, etc.), to get ready for dinner: salmon from Fisherman's Wharf at GI. I want to give my Trek a good wash and lube and then put my feet up while watching recording of the sore losers duking it out for third/fourth place in the World Cup! Biggest challenge tonight, for me, will be to keep from having any, but a moderate amount, perhaps, of hootch, surrounded as I am by all the Hyper-Juiceheads! Fondestos from F/S and Coriandre to you both. Must away as I need to eat 37 bananas! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Pics: Start of yesterday's ride into Penticton; PGC; Township 7; La Frenz; view from Lang; The Usual Suspects!!! 


Hi Money Bags and Tinsel Town! Thanks for the cold, hard cash!!!! Nothing is too rich for your blood, since you take after your free-wheelin' Mama, Baby-cakes! Before going on, thought that I would let you know that I'd been asked by The Gang of Four to suggest that since we have already picked up a simply wonderful array of cheese from both Upper Bench and Poplar Grove, (sort of true), we were wondering if The Millionairies would like to contribute one of Armando's butterfly lamb roasts, (instead of the bread and cheese they always bring!), for the bbq on Tuesday, (that they've suggested and then invited themselves to!), or something else, of course, for that matter. Sent them the gist of this message, concluding: "Just let me know and we'll plan accordingly." Everyone is very curious to see what transpires! Stay tuned!!!

Sarge/Petros and Coramandel have just left to go wine-tasting to three or four wineries along The Bench, leaving Lynne and I to commiserate with each other! (Just this moment back from a wonderful, wonderful time, apparently!) Flamin' is meeting a friend in town. Lynne is actually doing a few things, (setting table, cleaning vegetables from Peter's wonderful garden, etc.), to get ready for dinner: salmon from Fisherman's Wharf at GI. I want to give my Trek a good wash and lube and then put my feet up while watching recording of the sore losers duking it out for third/fourth place in the World Cup! Biggest challenge tonight, for me, will be to keep from having any, but a moderate amount, perhaps, of hootch, surrounded as I am by all the Hyper-Juiceheads! Fondestos from F/S and Coriandre to you both. Must away as I need to eat 37 bananas! Cheers, Dad/Granfondo Poppa!!!


Pat, You couldn't have done much better in terms of preparation for the event. If the bike performs as it should and you are able to survive the heat, you should do very well. I suppose the goal is to get in before the finish line closes.
Been working on the carpet roof with Peter the last 2 days. I ripped the old off and Peter did the work requiring a bit more finesse. Lots of finishing touches still to do including priming, deck coating, and drip caps.
 

Photos look great. I've always thought Naramata to be the perfect small resort.
Hope all goes well on the 'Fondo. Ray
 



No comments:

Post a Comment