Friday 11 July 2014

Pre-Training Kaleden to Penticton Blues: Day 4, Friday, July 11th!

Parents, by humouring and cockering them when little, corrupt the principles of nature in their children, and wonder afterwards to taste the bitter waters, when they themselves have poisoned the fountain. John Locke (1632-1704). 


Hi Patrick, Thanks for your message and sorry for being so long in replying.
Summer is puttering along pretty uneventfully, after the health commotion. I went to the cabin with a friend for four days last week, which was wonderful (we're having a heat wave) until the last morning when I had a tick bite for the first time in my life. Going to follow it up, just to be sure. 


Fast times on Hwy 97
Otherwise, I'm still waiting for Jane to appear. First it was June 8, then the middle of July, now the end of the summer. We'll see. She is still totally engulfed in her real estate affairs, selling the cabin and the apartment at the same time as getting something new on the island. Her focus on island objects is getting a bit weird from my point of view, e.g. the last favorite being a cabin of 900 sqft for $400 000. Whatever happens, I hope she'll be content.

I just had a warning my computer will shut down in two minutes, so I'd better stop now. All the best to you and Corinne, Kjell

Wayne Sutherland Headed to Naramatta with Michele Darrow-Sutherland and Corinne Durston for the weekend for a little wine tasting and to watch Patrick James Dunn ride in the Grand Fondo. Going to be 35 degrees.

Patrick James Dunn If you drive up via Osoyoos, stop in at Intersection and then after Flamin' has her rendezvous with Roland at Wild Goose, go to Meyer Family Vineyard, just out of OK Falls, up McLean Creek Road. View from patio off tasting room!

A punch of Physios finishing school 


Patrick James Dunn Congratulations! Bravo! Cheers, Your Cruel Host Father toasting you in Naramata!
  
P, just pushed the boxes aside to get to the computer. Harried but getting there, I think, maybe. Here is wishing you well on the big ride. W

Buon Giorno, Harried Pack-Rat! Thanks for the good wishes! Support Team arrived about 5:00 pm lasternoon so we enjoyed a fab reunion and meal, with scads of local Über Plonk, as you can well imagine!

Had the last of my longish training rides on Thursday.
Friday morning I stayed at the house until about 11:00 am. Dom Jugos had invited me to join him for lunch at the Penticton Golf Course. He was playing with a friend, Layton, and thought they'd be finished around 11:30 am. The previous night I had asked Peter if he would drive me, in my car, from Penticton to near Kaleden. This was the only remaining stretch of route I had not yet ridden so wanted to scope it out. He agreed, of course, and after a very tasty lunch, (Cajun Chicken Caesare for me), on the club house deck, with a stunning vista of course and hills beyond, I drove to a spot near the intersection of White Lake Rd and Hwy 97.



[Hi Peter; Just to thank you for setting up the golf day on Friday! It was a beautiful day for it and the company was excellent as well. Hope we can manage another round at some point. Have yourselves a great weekend and may Patrick do as well as he wishes in the Grand Fondo on Sunday. Cheers
Leighton
Thanks Leighton - I also enjoyed your company.  We'll do it again.
Peter]


I had changed into my riding togs in the club locker room, lubed up, and put on my cycling shoes, so once I unloaded my Trek, I was ready to go. I asked my domestique to wait a few minutes to make sure chain was working as it should and took off. Pleased to say that everything worked incredibly smoothy so when the support vehicle pulled alongside, I waved it off and made for Penticton, thanking Matt, the bike mechanic in Oliver, for a job well done!

Again, pleased to report that the ride into Penticton, facing a pretty brisk head wind was not a big deal , in spite of two long, slightly uphill grades, more than hills as such. In fact, I logged an AVG of 28.8 km/hr, when I hit the flats as one comes into Penticton, right by the airport. This dropped, as one could imagine, as I dipsy-doodled through town, finding my way back to the parking lot at the PGC. I had given Peter a second set of keys and kept the pair I use when riding as it has a key for built-in cable lock on bike rack. Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/539398624#.U8CB9-4ym_A.email


Anyway, only took about 20 minutes to reach outskirts of Penticton and about the same to reach golf course so I was on my way to Summerland close to 2:00 pm. Once there I took Lakeshore Drive Exit off Hwy 97 as I wanted to climb Peach Orchard Rd once more. Parked on the street, in the shade, (It was 31ºC by this time!), and rode the couple of kilometres to the base of Peach Orchard. Shifted down just before start of climb and all was well. Must say that I found this ascent easier, inasmuch as I had a much better idea of length of climb. (Turns out it is almost 2 km to roundabout at top of hill, just beyond the Okanagan Highway Overpass. While a damn good, sustained effort is required, felt pretty good about how I felt by the time I had it behind me. Rode a bit farther than roundabout before turning around to head back down to Lakeshore. Had no difficulty reaching 57+ km/hr without even trying. In fact, I braked quite often and I didn't want to Evil Knievel into the lake water if I was unable to stop! Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/539398626#.U8CCTkmUcwM.email


Back to the car to load up and then return to Penticton, stopping at Township 7 first. Quite taken with the Semillon so that is what I bought. On to La Frenz and really enjoyed their Sauvignon Blanc, Rattlesnake Vineyard, and the Viognier so those were my two choices. Next up, Lang, a winery I've not been to in many, many years, high up on the hillside, not all that far from KVR Trail. Gorgeous view from winery. Tasty Viognier so took four bottles. Short drive back to Naramata Inn to unload my stash and bike. Was just making a java when Lower Mainland Freeloaders arrived so that put finished to any thoughts I might have had to record my activities!

Plan today is to ride into Penticton, (just a "stretch" 20-30 km outing for me), with Flamin' and Sarge, to meet Lynne/Cora Lee there and wander Farmer's Market. Then I'll go to the Penticton Trade & Convention Centre to collect my registration package. Sarge will probably accompany me as Flamin' is meeting a friend in town for lunch. After I'm "officially" in Granfondo, we'll head back to Naramata. I want to give my Trek a good wash and lube and then put my feet up while watching the sore losers duke it out for third/fourth place! Biggest challenge will be to keep from having any hootch today, surrounded as I am by Hyper-Juiceheads! Fondestos from The Naramatians, F/S and Coriandre to you and The Sisterhood. Must away as I need to eat 37 bananas! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Pics: Start of ride into Penticton; PGC; Township 7; La Frenz; view from Lang; The Usual Suspects!!!


Hello, Lynne: Thanks for your card, which arrived today . I’m so glad you enjoyed your visit, because I did too. I enjoy having a chance to visit some of my favourite watering holes with a friend. And we did have good weather – didn’t we.

You’ve been having a busy time : a spa, Victoria, and the Calgary Stampede to top it off. The stampede is not something I fancy; I’ve seen one a long time ago – in Denver, I think. Those poor animals!
 

This afternoon, Jim and Jocelyn drove me to Sam’s funeral. We attended the service and observed the burial at the graveside. It was a gorgeous sunny day. Lots of old friend there: retired librarians from long ago. Sylvia, Lois, and Ronald were there, and a lot of other people. I chatted with Linda and Sharon, Sam’s daughters, who were pleased that I had visited him on a regular basis. I’ll miss him. Hugs to Peter, and best of luck to Pat. Anne 

Have a great weekend mom/dad!!!! Dad be careful, drink so much water you have to pee as you ride!! all the greats do it!!! Sissy you drive around in you're white BMW pretending your doing the LA granfondo!!!!

I'll be laying in the park, reading trashy novels and drinking!!! Woot Woot East Van!!!! xxx
Hi no problem about Dinao's accommodation, what will be will be! Have a great time cycling , I wish I could do part of it. You have a great life. Ron and I gave been watching World Cup religiously - too bad about Brazil!
Sunday should be fun, go Argentina! Take care! Ski
 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment