Friday 4 July 2014

Tinsel Town's Independence Day Blues: Friday, July 4th!

The best way to be more free is to grant more freedom to others. -Carlo Dossi, author and diplomat (1849-1910) 

Hi there Both films sound great...Alex will read the first 3 verses of Autumn Rain and Pierre will conclude with the last three.

I particularly loved that one for it's references to snow and grain to connect to Grandma Dunn's Manitoba roots.
 

The Maya Angelou piece I found when Maya passed last week and I was reading her collection of work on her website....I thought it was quite fitting as for as small as Grandma Dunn was, she was quite a mighty tree! Love to all xo

Hi Tinsel Town Orators! Thanks for the specifics. Not that I wish to dictate BUT you might want to introduce both readings with the brief account of how you came across poems and thought of Mom's prairie upbringing, etc.. Very well put! (On your part, not mine!) Love, Dad/Patrizzio!

Good idea...consider it done! So let it be written! So let it be done! Identify quotation and your name will be put into a draw for the following: 



The traditions that have shaped the cultural landscape of Mexico are thousands of years old. Today, they are as vital as ever and are most vividly expressed in the southern state of Oaxaca. For the people of Oaxaca, tradition is not something to be dusted off each year on festive occasions. 

It’s a way of life and permeates everything they do. Paramount among these traditions, like a silver thread running through the collective narrative of the region, is the production and frequently ritualistic consumption of mezcal. For more than four centuries, in tiny cottage workshops scattered among scores of villages dotting the countryside, fathers have passed the lore of handcrafting fine mezcal on to their sons and grandsons. 

Behind each bottle of Pierde Almas is a time-honored recipe kept alive with painstaking care by the family patriarch in each successive generation. By referring to Pierde Almas as a “Mezcal de Autor” it’s hoped these master mezcaleros will be elevated to their rightful place, because although their numbers have dwindled over the years, these individuals remain as the true defenders of mezcal lore. 

Pierde Almas aims to honor them for their humble yet uncompromising resistance in the face of the wholesale industrialization that has entrenched itself in recent years among the agave plantations of Oaxaca. Pierde Almas still bakes their Agave Hearts for up to ten days in earthen ovens, and still mills them under a great stone wheel drawn by horses. Fermentation—even in these impatient times—is slow, careful and chemical-free. Distillation takes place in a wood-fired, serpentine copper alembic whose design hasn’t changed appreciably since the Moors occupied the Spanish Peninsula. Each glass of Pierde Almas is a hymn to their history and cultural heritage. After centuries of near obscurity, Pierde Almas is now honored to have the opportunity to bring this amazing elixir out of the villages and onto the world stage

 Mezcal Pierde Almas Espadín - $119.05

Young (less than one year old at bottling), handcrafted mezcal made of 100% agave (Agave angostafolia). The bouquet is slightly smoky with hints of aromatic wood and wild flowers. Its effect on the palate is long and lasting.

Jordan Cran | Spirits Supervisor | Legacy Liquor Store

Mezcal Pierde Almas Tobaziche - $188.05

Young (less than one year old at bottling), handcrafted mezcal made of 100% agave (Agave karwinskii). The bouquet is charged with strong tones of the flesh of the agave plant laced with aromatic (cedar-like) woods. On the palate the effect is sweet and long-lasting with strong traces of quince and anise seed. The aftertaste is very floral against a backdrop of clean, wet clay.

Lukas Sopuch | Spirits Team | Legacy Liquor Store
 

Mezcal Pierde Almas Pechuga - $313.45

Young, triple-distilled, handcrafted mezcal made of 100% agave (Agave rodocantha or Agave angostafolia). Every year, in the month of November, Pierde Almas produces an extremely limited offering of mezcals avocados: mezcals flavored with an infusion of heirloom (criolla) fruit, almonds, anise and, in this case, the breast of a turkey. It’s as if the ghost of an old forest of wild fruit trees were to occupy the senses, lingering long after the mezcal itself has been swallowed. 


Happy sipping. Cheers, Mezcal Man!        Pharoah to Nefretiri Poppa, are you getting into tequila?
Pharoah, (Yul Brynner), to his scribe! [Comes from Cecil B. DeMille's epic film THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. When the Pharaoh makes a decree it is sealed with "So let it be written; so let it be done." Yul Brynner utters these powerful words in the film.] I get to keep all the mescal! Hee Hee!!! I'll give you a teeny, tiny taste for being close. I try to maintain a catholic approach to all spirits! Cheers, Cecil B, {for Bad}!

Tequila is for sharing Poppa...I can't afford your fancy brands but a shot of chilled Patron Silver always brings a smile to my face! Pedestrian, Smiley Face, Pedestrian!

Fine! Next time I visit I shall drain the liquor cabinet as my revenge, for I am anything but pedestrian! High, (tightly drawn!), Strung Drama Queen?

People change Poppa...I'm even dating a Sagittarius currently. ..oh the sheer horror of it all!! You couldn't have picked a better sign! Easy going, generous, understanding, patient, selfless, patient. Need I go on? 

Hi Digitale! Would that be the Swimsuit Edition as you plan on staying at Best Western with pool! Truly sorry we won't connect. Perhaps in the fall. I'm hoping to take a quick trip south with Sarge and Whirlygig, probably in late September. Fondestos to you and Fingare. Cheers, Il Conduttore!
  

Hi Big Al! Thanks for alerting me to this scintillating site! Your message has been sitting in my inbox for about three weeks and I finally managed to "open" the envelope! Trust you are well.

Took in The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz, last night at Vancity Theatre. You may well be familiar with Aaron Schwartz, (I wasn't but ironically it was his downloading of JSTOR, at MIT, that led to his arrest!), but if not, documentary is certainly well worth seeing if the chance presents itself. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Sausage Man! Happy Independence Day! Chloë and I enjoyed honey/garlic sausages last night for dinner before she dropped me off at Vancity Theatre. 


Back at the Islay Inn to find Coriandre watching a recorded episode of Vera, a British police detective procedural, one we'd seen, (I suspect Cora Lee snoozed through much of it when we first watched episode in question!), instead of sending you a list of books! Since I knew I'd seen it, I brushed and flossed and went straight to bed to read Joseph Kanon's Istanbul Passage. Kanon is also the author of The Good German, a book I liked very much, the film, not at all! At any rate, I can hardly wait to pick it up, am enjoying it so much!
 

Thought you might like to peruse attached list, until Coramandel sees fit to send along her recommendations! The authors listed will be attending VWF, October 21st-26th. Change your plans and come on up! Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: I'm flying down for lamb tomorrow! Taking a hot air balloon. Collect me in Calistoga, if you don't mind!
 


Hi again Bob! Really liked your watercolour sketch! Thanks for sending it along. As well, glad you liked Letter site. [Thanks!] Terribly fascinating if only one had more time! Since you are still on the mescal trail, thought you might like the following bottles.
 
Your extensive travel plans sound more than exciting. Am sorry we will miss Olivetti and Famiglia again! Was looking forward to meeting his wife and sons. Please pass along fond regards. I never really listened to Kraftwerk or the like. Did you enjoy concert? Thanks for the invitation, I'm sure we'd be delighted to accept. Will arrange things closer to date, obviously. Cheers, Patrizzio!

P:  Thanks for quick reply, I'm sure sorry we can't travel too.  I heard from Francesca also - they're committed.  Thanks for forwarding email from Bob, he sounds an all round good bloke. Would like the Tina/Trevor contact if you can forward this to them I'd appreciate it.  See y'all in October.  Love.
 
Plea for help from a fellow Ozzite! Hi TNT! Trust everyone is well. Enjoyed latest snaps from Ariane. On another matter, received this message from Stefano, in Harcourt North, near Bendigo, a day or so ago. In my reply I did mention that you have rented the same house in Neffiés I rented last September, this September. Stefano wondered if he would be welcome to stop there, at some point, as it is but three hours from Barcelona. Let me know what you think and I'll let him know. Thanks. Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. She's just off on her day's round of meetings and volunteer activities. I'm off for a ride once France vs Germany is over! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Stefano: Latest Euro-regrets included. I've sent a message to T/T so I'll let you know as soon as I know.   Cheers, Patrizzio!

Sausage tonight on a pizza shell that I produce when I make too much dough. It looks like a tortilla but taste much better. Kate called and she and her boyfriend Bryan are coming over for a visit and pizza tomorrow night so that will be fun. 

Sunday I will now have rack of lamb and roast potatoes, recipe handed down from my Sicilian grandmother. At least 8 bottles open tonight to taste over the next few days, including a 2003 Bordeaux and 2005 to taste along with some of my Aca Modot and Ultimate Cuvee.......a Macon will proceed the red wine. I am waiting patiently for the list of books but yours will be interesting in the mean time. I miss Vancouver......I may have to make it a yearly jaunt.........Dave

Portrait of a Venetian Nobleman
Art: Vittore Carpaccio, c.1510
At first glance these are recent books so I will see if some of the authors have written older books in Kindle. I have to use my paper white Kindle!! Harvest time in October.

Magnifico:

MEANING:
noun: A person of high rank or position.


ETYMOLOGY:
Earlier magnifico was an honorary title applied to Venetian noblemen. From Italian magnifico (magnificent), from Latin magnus (great). Ultimately from the Indo-European root meg- (great), which is also the source of magnificent, maharajah, master, mayor, maestro, magnate, magistrate, maximum, magnify, mickle, mahatma, magnanimous, and hermetic. Earliest documented use: 1573.
Hi Paper White Sicilian and the Seven Kindles! Too, too bad about timing of VWF. I know harvest time is critical. If I wasn't already coming for the rack of lamb and roast potatoes, I'm certainly drawn by the 8 bottles of vino!

Just back from a decent ride. Out to UBC to follow my usual route. Started to spit as I was making for home but even that light precipitation had stopped before I reached the Islay Inn. Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/534596972#.U7dBVBMvNG8.email
Both Chloë and Coriandre are doing shifts at Aunt Leah's Thrift Store this afternoon. I'm to collect Cora Lee at 6:15 pm and we'll go directly to friends, Catherine/Matt, for dinner. They live on the hillside above Spanish Banks, towards UBC, so their view of city and English Bay is nothing short of spectacular. Have an 8th Generation Integrity, (Chardonnay, Pinot Gris), Frizzante Style, 13.2%, chilling in the fridge, to take along. We'll toast their safe return from a three month trip through Bhutan, India, parts of Africa, ending in England where Matt, (originally from Glasgow), has relatives.

looking forward to meeting Kate and Bryan. Perhaps they can collect me in Calistoga on the way up from SF! Did Patrizzia drive to San Diego? Vancouver misses you. Do make it an annual excursion, especially since you now have an "in" at Cioppino's! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Here's a kindred spirit: One of my former students now practising law with an abiding interest in fetal alcohol problems:  

www.davidboulding.com

Hi again, Big Al! Thanks for David's website. I'm going to forward it to Chloë as some of the foster children in Aunt Leah's care have either been affected or touched by fetal alcohol problems. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Goils! This from Al Soroka, after I mentioned Aaron Swartz, activist for social justice, to him. Thought it might be of interest. Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment